Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xmpraedicta

Aeranthes grandiflorus

xmpraedicta
14 years ago

This one started spiking over 5 months ago, and kept heading straight up towards the burning lights. Had to move it to a windowsill, it kept going, then stalled for a while, spent some time making some keikis, and then bam within 2 weeks, the end of one of the spikes developed into this awesome flower, and the spike drooped down nicely like the way it should be. The other spike dried up :(. I think architecturally this is among the more interesting orchids - and the butterscotch smell at night is definitely a bonus!

Isn't that little nectar pouch at the back just so cool?

-Calvin

Comments (16)

• Sheila
    14 years ago

I love it! I have one that is not only a non-blooming variety, also a non-grower! It is not a happy camper. So, I'll enjoy your lovely pictures and perhaps someday....

• mrbreeze
    14 years ago

Awesome! That's one I haven't managed to acquire yet. My Aeranthes are certainly amongst the slowest growing Angs. I have one or two that haven't made more than one or two new leaves in two or three years! Silly things...

• olyagrove
    14 years ago

Beautiful bloom..

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone
    MrB - which ones are you growing! I've been looking around for a ramosa and an arachnites

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Shiela - don't worry I have tons of non-blooming cultivars of different orchids in my care! :D How do you grow yours? Mine is in a small pot, never allowed to *completely* dry although it gets quite close to sometimes, and low-phal levels of light - maybe that helps a bit?

• Charm
    14 years ago

Beautiful!~Charm

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    14 years ago

That is a pretty awesome flower. You just can't go wrong with a green and white combo IMO.

Kevin

• Sheila
    14 years ago

Hey Calvin, thx for the culture info. Perhaps it's staying too dry. I have it in a basket with just lava rock, watering it every day, but it does dry out. I'm in the process of potting some small plants using the mounting method of the inverted clay pot covered with spag. Perhaps I'll set this one up that way and see if it'll be happier. Your blooms are gorgeous. I do love green/whites. I have a species cymbidium, album var. starting to bloom, a newly acquired plant. Also supposed to be fragrant.

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

Beautiful, Calvin! it almost seems like a butterfly or dancing orchid ballet. A very! beautiful and intriguing flower! I love a fragrant orchid, but oooooo-that form is its truly unique, absolutely dazzling- prima ballerina if I might say...

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kevin - I know, eh. I've realized my favorite orchids are all either green, white, green and orange or white and orange. go figure

Sheila - remember how you said yours was growing into a bush when Jane posted her photos of her 'Grandiose'? :) Mine is getting bushier by the month as well:

I wonder if it needs to be root bound before blooming. Mine is stuffed in a little tiny 2.5 inch plastic pot inside the clay one. I'd be interested in seeing how it grows mounted - I have a feeling this one likes it moist, but well drained, but not TOO airy; mine's in a mix of medium-fine bark with random lumps of hydroton - definitely an accidental mix rather than an intentional one! :)

Please do post photos of your cymbidium - what is it? An ensifolium?

Serena - glad you found your way here to the gallery! It's my favorite part of this forum - I look at every single photo that is posted, even though I don't comment on everything. It's interesting also once you get more plants to observe patterns in blooming. Tons of phals in the winter and spring, angs in the late summer/fall...etc...It's also very dangerous because you *will* see things that you must have immediately.

• mrbreeze
    14 years ago

I have ramosa and arachnites, though I think the later is now called caudatum, maybe, or maybe grandiflora. Somehow there's a synonym in there.

Also henrici, henrii (also now called something else i think), neoperierii (cool grower that i have no business owning), dentiens (?), couple of grandifloras, and...hmmmm....longipes. I don't have much luck blooming most of them. At least not yet. I used to have two peyrotii but they both have died, same with nidus and a few others. :(

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

oooh henricii that ones a tough one :P

• quinnfyre
    14 years ago

Hey, thanks for showing the whole plant... I can't get over how long that spike is! That's an attractive plant overall. I am also finding that I really gravitate toward green/greenish-white flowers, wonder why that is?

• jane__ny
    14 years ago

Beautiful, Calvin. Mine is blooming also with two blooms this time. First time both opened at the same time. Strangely the same happened with my Psychopsis, two flowers at once. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

I discovered they can take much more light than mentioned in books. Mine is potted, 4" pot, in a mix of bark and sphag and I am not a good waterer, so it has gone dry many times. It has been outside in the rain we've had all summer. It gets almost full eastern sun (little tree shade). I think it is the light and cool nights.

In short, I think you can treat this plant more casually than we were led to believe. It seems to grow better with less attention...like most orchids.

Good growing,
    Jane

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

Calvin, I suddenly thought of the perfect descriptor for your orchid--- a Cirque Du Soleil dancer! the way that flower is suspended in the air reminds me exactly! of Cirque Du Soleil.

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone
    Jane - that is amazing - 2 on one spike? And the psychopsis too...you must be proud about that one!

I think you're right about this plant...it's tougher than it looks.

Looking forward to photos :)