Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tee530

Angraecum didieri

tee530
15 years ago

Big flower. Small plant. Fantastic (Ang-tastic?) spicy fragrance at night. Has bloomed twice this year already. Convinced yet?

Comments (7)

• Sheila
    15 years ago

Absolutely lovely! Right now I'd settle for just a healthy plant. Mine is not doing well at all!

• tee530
    Original Author
    15 years ago

G-K, I don't know how you're growing yours, but I found that didieri does not like to be potted. Mine took off only after I removed all the media and stuck it, bare-root,
    into a clay pot. It quickly grabbed hold of the pot and now it's cemented itself in there. I jammed the pot into a small basket to keep it from falling over.

• Sheila
    15 years ago

Tee530, here in SC Texas it's really difficult growing mounties. When I rec'd it, the plant was growing on a stick with some spag for padding. Within 3 wks a couple of the roots were drying. I put it into a small clay pot and heaped some lava rock around it. I think this would have been OK, but some stupid, careless person let it sit in the sun for a couple hours.....didi did NOT say thank you! It has now lost those burnt leaves & only two leaves remain. It also has one start of a spike(the second spike died). However what I'm happiest to see is two tiny leaves making an appearance! Perhaps the careless grower will be forgiven and next year I'll get to experience a delightful bloom.

Happy growing.
    Sheila :)

• karmen
    15 years ago

Nce growing tee530, what are the conditions this plant sees? That's pretty cool about the bare-root-in-pot growing!
    cheers,
    Karmen

• smwboxer
    15 years ago

I placed mine small pot with alot of holes and tree fern fiber. Seems to really like the openess. No blooms yet but lots of roots and two new leaves since I got it.

• tee530
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Karmen, it gets the Massachusetts outdoors under trees from May to September, then indoors under lights for the rest of time. Probably 85F highs and 68F lows during summer, and cooler indoors: 68F highs and 58F lows. Gets lots of water during the summer, and misting and the occasional soak in the winter, although I try to follow the roots: lots of green tips = more water.

This ang has amazed me with its ability to grow without media in low humidity (as low as 30% indoors in the depths of winter). It likes drying out between watering, but not being dry for long periods of time.

• karmen
    15 years ago

Awesome! That is wild, thanks for the additional info!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm