Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Den. speciosum time

Posted by arthurm NSW AUST (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 8, 08 at 2:14

These are not the blue blood Dendrobium speciosum that OrchidNick grows, rather the ordinary common garden variety more often seen. Easy, in parts of California, easy to grow, but difficult to flower in some climates.

Den. speciosum 'Eve' in bud

Den. speciosum 'Eve'

Den. speciosum 'Eve' in bloom.
Dendrobium speciosum 'Eve'

Den.speciosum slightly better flower form

Dendrobium speciosum 'Melrose Sao'
Den. speciosum in show display.

Ashfield Mall Show 2008

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Den. speciosum time

• Posted by jodik 5 Central IL (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 8, 08 at 10:36

The more orchids I see in bloom, the more enamored I become! They're lovely!

o

If it's as fragrant as Den. kingianum, I'll be soo envious!

Carol

o

Carol, these have a strong sweet perfume especially on sunny days. It is a pity that the plant takes so many years to reach flowering size and needs high light levels to bloom.

o

Arthur, is that your Den. in the first photos? It really is a lovely specimen. Wish I could bloom these, although I did get a kingianum from Andy's who insisted it is a type that will tolerate warmer temps, and it is growing well, and seems like it will bloom this winter, that is, if I can keep it happy enough in its rest period.

Carol

o

A beautiful well grown orchid!~Charm

o

Beautiful Arthurm! I'm ordering a few plants with Nick's order, but not speciosums. I know I'd never be able to bloom them. Wish I could enjoy the fragrance though! Thx for posting.

Sheila :)

o

Ashfield Show display 2006
The plants in the pictures in the first post belong to various members of the local orchid society.
My plant above , picture from 2007 before i took out an old saw and cut the plant in half. No, i am not in the picture! Again, a common, ordinary run of the mill speciosum. Not one of Orchidnick's blue bloods.

Had a look at the climate for Texas some time ago and it seems to have a great variation depending on where you are in the state. So D.speciosum might grow well and bloom in some parts. Lack of winter light is (i think) the main problem in far northern climates.

o

Very nice Arthur, your original plant is quite the monster.

Say, isn't it about time for the yearly Dend. kingianum "will-it-bloom" angst to start up around here?

o

• Posted by bolero VIC Aust z9 (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 13, 08 at 7:27

All those photos show some excellent plants. This is the best time of year in Australia for flowering plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here