Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ifraser25

Everyone should have one of these...

ifraser25
14 years ago

Dendrobium nobile. One of the easiest and best of all orchids. There are hundred of hybrids but none are better than the type. Can (and in high latitudes should) be grown in full sun. In Brazil, especially the semi-alba form is known as "Doll's eye".

Comments (9)

• michoice
    14 years ago

Yes ifraser that is beautiful, if only I had the room!

• jank
    14 years ago

WOW!!!
    Zone 11...is that a warm grower, or do you get some nice cool temps in the mountains somehow? Or a greenhouse?
    Jan

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

Can it grow indoors? does it have sceeeent! If so, I want, I want, I want!!!!

• terpguy
    14 years ago

The nobile species itself isn't easy to bloom for windowsill growers. It requires a cool dry winter rest and indoors is too warm. All you'd get are keikis. However, there are a ton of warmth tolerant mobiles available thanks to Yamamoto nursery...for this reason those are referred to frequently as Yamamoto types. My favorite warmth tolerant mobiles are Dendrobium Sea Mary 'Snow King' and Dendrobium Oriental Smile

• ifraser25
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Serena, I suppose I should have qualified what I said about Dend.nobile being easy a bit... While it's not true that it must be kept very dry during winter - we had quite a lot of rain in the "dry" season this year and it still flowered well as you can see, there is a temperature issue growing under glass in high latitudes.In fall/winter it still likes bright sunshine and warmth during the day, if anything more light in fall/winter than in summer, but nights are considerably cooler than in summer. I think it is the temperature drop at night, as others have observed, that triggers the flowering mechanism not the drought.A typical late fall day would have a max of about 80 deg and a min of 50, so quite a big range. This could be a problem for indoor growers.

• arthurm
    14 years ago

Terpguy, perhaps you have Den. Sea Marie. I suppose posters should be aware that their "easy" orchids might be extremely difficult in another Climate.

In October (spring here) these orchids are a feature of late spring shows but no fiddling with temps make them easy. The weather does all the hard work.

Ian are you sure your zone is 11?

• Charm
    14 years ago

Gorgeous blooms!~Charm

• arthurm
    14 years ago

Forget about Sea Marie cannot be that one. So Sea Mary remains a mystery orchid not registered in the RHD Database.

• ifraser25
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for all your comments. Matters arising: Yes, there is a scent, though it is not especially strong. Zone 11, in standard literature would be "intermediate" not warm. All of these things are relative however and I would say that here summer is "warm", winter is "cool" and spring and fall "intermediate". But it is the nighttime temperature that varies the most.
    How do I know what Zone I am in? Well I found a map of S America some time ago - I think it was on the net - which showed the USDA zones. It was difficult to tell, because of the complicated relief of this area, whether we were Zone 11 or 12, but I think Zone 12 refers to the coastal area, which is generally a bit warmer than here in the hills, especially at night.For comparison, the Amazon is Zone 13.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County