Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djthomp28

Dendrobium antennatum var. d'albertisii

I have had absolutely zero luck with the antelope and den phal hybrid. But this Dendrobium antennatum var. d'albertisii seems to appreciate my environment. Exciting.

As a side note, var. d'albertisii is a smaller growing variety of antennatum. Mine is about 9 inches but it is not fully matured yet.

This post was edited by Greencurls on Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 14:01

Comments (12)

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

Very nice. I don't do too well with these.

Nick

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have had 3 hybrids. None rebloomed. Two languished for two plus years. Then finally bit it. I sold the third before the same happened to it. So far so good with this one though. It even survived an accident early this summer where my blinds fell on it. Hopefully, it will continue to be a trooper.

• arthurm
    10 years ago

Very nice, perhaps the Antelope types are a little bit easier than the Phalaenopsis types. Neither types are widely grown around these parts.
    I keep trying to grow the hybrids without a lot of success. Wrong climate. Yesterday it was 28C in the yard and the humidity was 12%. Yuk!

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    10 years ago

This antennatum hybrid blooms most of the year. Currently non stop since January.

10 years ago

A close up...

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Those are gorgeous. It must be all of that Florida heat and humidity at work.

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

Tropical Orchid Farm in Hawaii is selling that very same plant for $7.00 NBS, $12 for BS. Shipping is high, add 15% for packing and then add $12 for shipping.

Nick

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

Be very same plant I meant Dend antennatum var d'albertis.

Nick

10 years ago

It is Den. hialeahi twist. spiker x canaliculatium. It won a blue ribbon twice at the Martin county Orchid society show for best Dendrobium. It has been in bloom since January. There have been 6 to 11 spikes at any given time. Now it is initiating one about 3 inches. Another out full but not open. And several full open. It has tolerated 3 seasons of various weather and still going.

• ifraser25
    10 years ago

Very nice but I'm confused. The two photos in the posting are Dend. antennatum, the type species. In the follow-ups there is a variety. I have not seen it before and it is not listed in Jay's, presumably var. d'albertisii, where the purple stripes on the lip are fused together to form a solid blotch. It must be uncommon.

Watch out for aphids on these, mine died a couple of years ago shortly after a quite minor attack. Good luck - Ian.

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Ian - The two photos in the original posting are of a Dendrobium antennatum var. d'albertisii, D'albertisii are pretty much identical to the regular antennatum, just shorter and more compact.

The photos in the follow-up are of an antelope hybrid, not a species.

Thanks for the tip about aphids attacks. I will be on the look out.

• arthurm
    10 years ago

Actually, according to the Royal Horticultural Society at Kew the variety d'albertisii is a synomyn. They only list Den. antennatum.
    It is easy to get seduced into trying unsuitable orchids. Years ago I found an orchid show in Queensland, Australia. The orchids on display were mostly tropical Dendrobiums of various types, Hmmm, I'll have to give these a try. Lol.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting