Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michoice

Bulbophyllum Lindleyanum

michoice
15 years ago

Looks very spikey but the flowers are only one third of an inch( 8mm ). There are more than thirty flowers on the spike with 3/4 still to open and another 3 spikes developing. It should continue to flower for many weeks to come.

Comments (8)

• bolero
    15 years ago

Really striking flowers, must be wonderful to own and flower something like that.

• scott361
    15 years ago

Sweet!

I so need to get one of these.
    I've almost picked one up a few times.
    Incredible photo of it, as well!

I really need to get my fricken' camera fixed. I know that
    something is definitely wrong with it, after it being dropped.
    I have some Bulbo photos that I'll post if I can properly ID what it is.
    I think that the lable is wrong!
    It doesn't look like other photo examples!

Again, great shot!
    Scott

• arthurm
    15 years ago

Yes, great photo and and a wonderful orchid. Wonder what little beastie(s) the hairs attract or repel?

• michoice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Scott, about this time last year we both had what looked like a spike developing on similar size Bulb. Medusae plants. Mine aborted but is looking much more promising this year. Did you flower yours? Peter

• scott361
    15 years ago

Nope!
    Not only did mine abort a spike, it aborted leaves, roots and a lot of pleasure!
    Hateful thing!
    Out of two of these I have one left.
    It looks like it's actually getting some new growth!
    I'd almost given up on it.
    The surviving one is my Cirr. medusaeÂSpotty JC/AOS and I wouldn't want to lose it.
    I just can't believe that these are so much more touchy than some of the others.

I posted a couple of photos of my current flowering Bulbo on my Flickr page, but I don't remember what it is.
    I was preoccupied and didn't take care with what was what.
    I'm clueless as to what it is, but if you'd care to help narrow it down...?

I keep thinkin' that it was a free one labled as a B. Kalimpong, but it doesn't look like the photos that I've seen.

• michoice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry Scott but I can't help on this one, BUT, there is a group on Flickr called Bulbophyllum. They have 78 members and so far to date there are 874 pictures posted. If you have the time, scroll through them, I bet someone else will have posted a picture of your plant. Apart from anything else, there are some really good Bulbo pictures to make your mouth water. Good Luck, Peter

• scott361
    15 years ago

Yeah thanks, but I checked the other day.
    I've been a member since July.
    I went through virtually all of their photos, as well as, every other Bulbo place on the internets! ;~)
    Plus, I have a 100MB file of just the Bulbo family that I went through.
    Nothin'!
    I spent the day, on and off, going through my purchasing data.
    I'm making a guess and am tentatively calling it a
    Bulbophyllum Koolau Starburst (lobbii x levanae)!
    I think that it's a pretty decent guess...maybe!;~)

Scott

• craigo02
    12 years ago

love bulbophyllums
    love the black stripes
    i have echinolabum, fascinator, and bulbophyllum frank smith (carnocultum X lobbii)
    looks prickly
    ryan