Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chryss_gw

P. violacea

chryss
15 years ago

She did it again !! How can anyone resist ??

P. violacea

{{gwi:1119869}}

P.violacea

{{gwi:1119870}}

Chryss

Comments (14)

• carolinn_on
    15 years ago

Very pretty! Does it grow with the basket positioned that way, or was it just for taking the photo?

Carol

• chryss
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Picked up the basket-on-the-side technique from another NCOS member and violacea was never so healthy and happy !! I accidently found out that the low light spot worked for it !!

P. violacea at home
    {{gwi:1119872}}

Chryss

• carolinn_on
    15 years ago

Chryss, I repositioned my P. bellina (which is also in a basket) about a week ago, and it loves being sideways. The drainage is so much better, and also, any water landing on the leaves drain right off, instead of pooling in the middle of the plant. Thanks for posting your photos.

BTW, Iooks like you cut out egg-crate ceiling tiles to insert under your plants. I dreamed up this idea a few years ago, but never got around to doing it. What type of tool do you use for cutting them?

Thanks,
    Carol

• chryss
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry it took so long Carol, my net connection flaked out and I just got back on ! I used diagonal cutters (commonly called dikes) and adjusted snip by snip until I got a master pattern for each shape, then Sharpie penned around it and snipped away !

C-

• carolinn_on
    15 years ago

Thanks Chryss. I hope your connection behaves from now on. I'll have to ask husband if we have that tool.

Carol

• chryss
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Carol,

Check this pix and the next one.

C-

Here is a link that might be useful:

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

I use them also, buy sheets at Home Depot. I just use the electricial nippers to cut mine. I also have used pruning shears and dog nail clippers. They cut easily.

Chryss, I'm curious about the low light. Have you seen a difference by moving to such low lighting? I have mine in a W. window getting dappled sun behind other plants. Mine are flowering also, but today I was concerned about the very light color of the leaves. I moved them back further. But they are flowering and budding and I thought I might be over reacting to the leaf color.

• chryss
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, the leaves are DARK green and it keeps on blooming ! That bloom was new when I took the pix on 9/28 and it still looks the same !! Not faded at all !! What more can I say ?? I'M NOT MOVING IT FROM THAT SPOT !!!! Oh yeah, it gets a constant blast of air from the circulating tower fan 24/7 and some from above from the ceiling fan 24/7 and it's right next to the humidifier output (called an air scrubber). I guess that you would say that it has PLENTY of air circulation ! Also, probably the highest humidity in the area being next to the humidifier. Like I said, it was by accident that I left it there (I don't remember why) for a few weeks and then it responded !!! Just LUCK !!! Oh, forgot to mention that I DID make a request of Kuan Yin to safeguard her plants that I am merely a humble caretaker of !!!!!!! That might have helped !!!

C-

• carolinn_on
    15 years ago

Thanks for taking the photos of your diagonal cutting pliers, Chryss. We have lots of those...now I just need to get some ceiling tiles!

Carol

• Sheila
    15 years ago

Chryss, your plant/photos are beautiful. I have a violacea that has been stalled for a long time. I'm going to move it to a basket today.

Just curious, what's in the quart jar?

Sheila :)

• chryss
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sheila,

That's approx. a 2 gallon plastic ex-pretzel jar that I was using as a greenhouse to maximize the humidity for my EX-Haraella odorata which I sold, jar and all, at our NCOS October show/sale. It WAS working to increase growth. In fact, the moss (not sphagnum) came alive and was growing ! It QUIT blooming. Grew nice, long, multiple spikes but nary a bud that didn't blast ! Too much trouble so I gave it up to the hope for a better home !

I'm going to put my NEW violacea in a basket sideways asap, also.

C-

• stitzelweller
    15 years ago

Chryss, a NEW Phal violacea? and, WHERE did you get it from? :-)

• chryss
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Stitz,

Altzheimer's setting in ??? See P. violacea var. Malaysia below this post.

C-

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

That really is an amazing little flower.

Kevin

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES