Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pleurothallis strupifolia

Posted by orchidnick z9Ca (orchidnick@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 12:27

This is a hot to cold grower from Peru/Brazil. This one will grow in any temp condition. Got it from SBOE 3 years ago, they were growing it outside. It had 5 leaves and bloomed every fall since then but made NO new leaves. After 2 years of new leaves I moved it into the cool house and this spring it made 5 new leaves.

Someone from the orchid society also bought one 3 years ago and made exactly the same experience. No new leaves for 3 years, his stayed outside so moving mine in the cool house probably had nothing to do with anything. If you get one and it sulks you've been forewarned..

Nick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pleurothallis strupifolia

The leaves are leathery reminiscent of Epi parkinsonum. Jay Phal calls it deciduous but I have not had that experience. Every one of the new leaves has a sheath so 4 more will open in time.

Nick

o

The growth habit alone is interesting the blooms are just extras.

o

Now it's decided to really bloom. This flower bunch has 5 strands, sorry, not all in focus.

o

This leaf has 2 strands.

o

The entire plant.

o

Another view of the entire plant with it's 8 inflorescence. Interesting presentation, I have never seen it at an orchid show. SBOE had it, sold out right now but they told me they will try to bring it back.

http://www.sborchid.com/plantdisplay.php?ocode=CBO1780

Nick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here