Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Coelogyne Mem Wm Forget 'Mystery

orchidnick
9 years ago

Reminds me of another one with a very dark brow lip. Flowers are inside plant, a little awkward.

Nick

Comments (16)

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view.

Nick

• inga007
    9 years ago

Absolutely lovely.

• arthurm
    9 years ago

Has a lot of potential. The only registered name that comes close is Coelogyne Memoria Louis Forget.

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    9 years ago

Nice to know what this one looks like. Your leaves seem to be fairing better than mine. Is it in your cool green house?

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cool and wet is how I have kept it. James Rose from Cal Orchids insist it will grow intermediate but I think that is part of the sales strategy. He admits it will probably better do on the cool side.

Nick

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    9 years ago

I am growing in intermediate and the leaf spotting is terrible. So I would have to agree about growing it cool.

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My leaves are spotting too. Here is a picture of the spotting on some of my older leaves. Other large leafed Coelogynes growing in similar conditions in my greenhouse do not show this spotting.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More flowers have opened.

Nick

• arthurm
    9 years ago

The flowers are a bit like the leaves "not happy" lots of potential though.
    Wish they would all grow like
    Coelogyne flaccida
    Coelogyne lactea
    Coelogyne Unchained Melody
    which are very easy here outdoors in a shade-house.
    Did you check the name?

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That one is now growing at the bottom of a dumpster. Tested positive for Odm ring spot virus. I liked it enough that I'll see if I can get another one from Cal Orchids, with a warrantee of course.

Nick

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    9 years ago

Oh no. I should test mine just in case.
    I wrote Cal Orchids about the leaf spotting. They said it was extremely common and they no longer stock this plant because of it. But maybe they have a couple left.

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Or maybe all of them had a common problem.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Or maybe all of them had a common problem.

Nick

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    9 years ago

Possibility. I am tempted to just left mine go instead of testing it. My spotting starts like this:

Then progresses to this:

Is this similar to what yours looked like?

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some of the leaves looked like that, not as bad as yours but there were others who had the typical ring appearance of the Odm ring spot virus. A home test was positive. Yours looks worse than mine in the non-virused sense but mine looked worse than yours when it comes to virus signs.

I don't have the time or inclination to deal with troublesome plants. There are too many who appreciate our efforts. Unless yours tests positive for virus you are not obligated to discard it but I think I would be inclined to do so, it simply does not look happy.

Can you move it to a totally different environment? Near total shade? Cooler?

Nick

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    9 years ago

That picture was taken when it was a bit warmer outside. It was under shade but I think the temps were too high for it with 78-80F degree highs. Now with the highs in the 60s and lows in th low 50s/high 40s, the spots are more like the first picture and holding steady. It seems stable now but I concerned about what to do when it has to come inside for winter.

It was badly spotting last winter also. Then the temps were in mid 70s in the day and mid 50s at night. Most of my collection are intermediate growers so I am planning a similar temperature scheme this year. Certainly there will be some cooler spots but probably not with day temps only in the 60s.

For now, I guess i will leave it in the shade while I decide its fate. I was tempted to throw it out prior to the thought that it might be virused. For the same reasons you mentioned.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County