Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djthomp28

(Pot. Hisako Akatsuka x Slc. Jungle Jewel) 'Waiakea'

I don't think this hybrid has been registered yet. If someone knows of a registered grex please let me know.

Comments (10)

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

Nice strong colors.

Nick

• inga007
    10 years ago

Love the shade of red

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. This is the first time this has bloomed. I bought it as a seedling on the super cheap table last December. I am very pleased with the results. It is a very robust growing too, especially for a mini catt.

• April Carter
    7 years ago

Not sure if you ever got your answer, but I just purchased this plant last Saturday. Yeah says it's a ruby volcano. I also found it under P. Hisako Akatsuka x SLC. Wendy

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the follow up, April. Unfortunately I still don't see a name for this hybrid in the RHS orchid registry. I did not find anything under Ruby Volcano. I wish someone would register it so the name would be official.

Did you purchase the hybrid I posted or did you get P. Hisako Akatsuka x Slc Wendy which is registered as Rlc Paradise Ruby?

I think there are two different hybrids being discussed: (1) P. Hisako Akatsuka x Slc Jungle Jewel - no registered name/unofficial name Volcano Ruby and (2) P. Hisako Akatsuka x Slc Wendy - Rlc Paradise Ruby.

• April Carter
    7 years ago

I have the (2) P. Hisako Akatsuka x Slc Wendy sorry I couldn't help

• arthurm2015
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi Darlene, when you say you purchased the orchid as a seedling, did you mean that in the sense of it being a tiny plant or raised from seed?

A clue might be in the clone name 'Waiakea' which could indicate that it is in fact a mericlone. 'Waiakea' could indicate the source nursery, perhaps Fantasy Orchids.

Great colour!

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi Arthur- Good point for clarification. I meant seedling as in a small plant. So it could be a mericlone. I will checkout Fantasr to see if I can find it. Although I am starting to wonder about the tag. I am finding all sorts of similar crosses. Like the one April mentioned. Beautiful flower by the way. And this one also Alexia Williamson. But I can not find the exact match on my tag.

The may should read like this Pot.Hisako Akatsuka x Slc. Jungle Jewel 'Waiakea. Then it would be a gone from seed seedling.

• April Carter
    7 years ago

Where did you buy it from?

• arthurm2015
    7 years ago

Sorry Darlene about this name stuff but people just have difficulty with the rules etc.

I have registered 5 hybrids and the convention is that you have to find the person who made the cross and ask their permission to register the cross.

Sometimes life events get in the way and you cannot find the hybridiser. You can still register the cross provided you can convince the registrar at the Royal Horticultural Society that you have made a decent attempt to find the hybridiser.

Just finishing entering the benching results for the last local orchid society meeting and at least half the benching cards have junk written on them. For the average orchid society member this name stuff is rocket science.

Hisako Akatsuka was produced by Miyamoto in Hawaii and is the registered parent of 54 Hybrids.

Anyway, the name you have is fine and it probably is a mericlone.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH