Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xmpraedicta

COOS Show 2008 + Aerangis kirkii

xmpraedicta
15 years ago

Hey everyone!

Just got back from the Central Ontario Orchid Show in Cambridge ON today. Had a great time, especially at the members sale table where there were fantastic orchids, both hybrids and species for sale at ridiculously cheap prices.

Picked up a Coelogyne flaccida, coelogyne fimbriata, a huge jumellea comorense, a noid Angraecum, and a sarcochillus hartmanii.

Also finally got my hands on that aerangis kirkii...it's an awesome flower - sorry the photos are a little grainy. I'll be getting a proper photoshoot of this guy tomorrow with better light. There was fragrance throughout the day - similar to that of neos imo.

I didn't take too many photos at the show but here are some highlights:

-Cal

Comments (10)

• chryss
    15 years ago

That Aerangis is a beauty Calvin !!!

I'm also gunning for the Coelo. flaccida but managed to pick up a Coelo. fuliginosa, a Den. wassellii, P. lueddemanniana, Cym. ensifolium var. alba, Max. rufescens, Cyc. pentadactylon 'Jumbo Best' x Morm. sinuata ' Fire Ball', and another Den. kingianum.

Geez, does it EVER stop ??

Chryss

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow Chryss, what a haul! :D Which event did you grab those at? Coel. fuliginosa seems similar to fimbriata - I haven't seen too many fuliginosas around actually. Please post pics when your ensifolium blooms - I have an alba-ish version and I want to compare :)

Here's a slightly better shot of this one - this is a real photogenic little guy! :D

{{gwi:143050}}

• mrbreeze
    15 years ago

*sigh* Really awesome. I'm happy for you, obviously. :D
    That looks like a really nice kirkii. Mine should be in flower in another week or two.

That splendida was truly glorious, eh? It REALLY REALLY makes me wish I hadn't killed mine.

Buy all the Ang species you can, while you can. You never know when the sources will dry up forever. :(

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have you to thank for getting me involved in this little ang-affair I'm having, of course :) Plz post pictures of yours when it flowers!

• carolinn_on
    15 years ago

Very pretty-like little birds. Is it fragrant at night too? You guys are tempting me-I have the growing conditions for lots of Angs, but..NO, I'll wait awhile, at least until my Ang. sesquipedale blooms. :)

Carol

• bcfromfl
    15 years ago

Your kirkii is one of the finest ones I've ever seen. I'm sad that I lost mine a few years back, and have never located another. I'm on call-back from a couple nurseries when they get one, so I'm hopeful I'll have one again soon.

I don't know what you paid for yours, but based upon the eBay sales I've seen, I'm guessing your plant would go for somewhere between $50 and $75. I would pay that happily for the plant you received. Nice going!

-Bruce

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Bruce...how did you lose yours? Anything to avoid with the care of this one?

This one seems pretty healthy, with lots of leaves. My main concern is that there is essentially no medium on the cork (which isn't the most absorbent material in the first place) so although I have it under the mister, there is quite a bit of drying out (despite high humidity). I'm thinking I should up the cycle of the mister to keep this one wetter, but I'm not sure.

Carol - it is fragrant although I'm not sure what the trigger is...it was the most fragrant when I was driving back home from the show in the hot stuffy car (but in the middle of the day). I've sniffed it a few times at night and it's no where near as strong as it was in the car...maybe it needs heat to release the scent? I'll keep checking...I love the fragrance. PS - someone brought me the holiday season early this year :) :) :)

-Cal

• bolero
    15 years ago

Gorgeous photos, thanks for sharing.

• bcfromfl
    15 years ago

Calvin -- if at all possible err on the side of *cool* with this one, but if you're growing inside, that shouldn't be an issue. I think mine died because of 94-98F degree temps when I lived in south-coastal Florida. Now that I have a more optimal setup for angraecoids, I don't think I'd have any problem.

One more thing -- this is one of those aerangis that seems to prefer an "open" mount...by that, I mean, no sphagnum. That's going to require a more regular watering cycle, which it sounds like you've attended to nicely. I wouldn't increase the cycle. As long as your humidity is high, allow it to dry some before watering again. Let the root tips be your guide (when they're growing, anyway), and you'll be fine.

I anticipate more gorgeous photos in the future!

-Bruce

• mrbreeze
    15 years ago

I second the no-sphag idea. Certainly not over the roots. Near them would be ok.

Be wary of over misting. Kirkii has lots of potential to hide water between the flat layered leaves which could lead to rot. Welcome to the biggest problem with growing orchids indoors, how to water enough at the roots without overwating the foliage? If mine isn't growing roots, i soak it 'upside down' as it were, with the leaves *not* in the water but the back of the mount getting wet. When the roots are growing I soak it with the leaves and all in the water. It presents a risk for disease spread but, whatever. Tis not a perfect world, eh?

Actually, the more I've thought about it, I'm pretty sure you won't be able to grow that so please send it to me, thanks. :)