Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xmpraedicta

Odontocidium and NOID catt

xmpraedicta
15 years ago

Odontocidium Tiger Crow 'Golden Girl'

A really popular one and really easy to grow, but it gets too big for my tastes...I may have to get rid of it at our next OS meeting. The worst thing about this plant is that it produces gigantic branching spikes right when it's time to bring the plants indoors, and so most of the buds abort. =(

A NOID cattleya hybrid. I'm 80% sure it's infected with virus (sent off sample to critter creek labs) as I see some color break in the flowers and weird patterning on the leaves. I'm feeling sad with the prospect of throwing it away because it puts up with so much neglect from me and yet still blooms...I'm thinking I may give it (with a warning of course) to a friend who doesn't really grow orchids and so can still enjoy the blooms without fear.

Comments (6)

• bolero
    15 years ago

I love both of those plants. The Catt looks ok but of course I can't really tell.

It would be a shame to throw it away, maybe it gives you an excuse to buy a new plant? Not that you need one of course.

By the way, some people believe that all plants have latent virus hiding under the surface. Hopefully one day this is clarified but like humans it's believed that all plants have a virus or two in the system. Only some every show it though. Who knows for sure?

• shirley-z-8-tx
    15 years ago

They are both beautiful. Hope the cat is not virused. Shirley

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the comments! :)

Bolero - I think you're right...I study human viruses for a living and it seems that there are some viruses that infect up to 95% of the human population, with no clinical symptoms. It's unlikely that plants are an exception to this...the viruses that show symptoms (ie oncidium ringspot virus/cymbidium mosaic virus) are the ones that people are concerned about spreading.

• carolinn_on
    15 years ago

Bolero, you've raised a very interesting point! I do know that orchids can be virused without showing symptoms, and wonder if the ones that do show to be virused do so mainly because their immune systems are stressed for whatever reason(s) and this gives the virus an opportunity to multiply. They can also be passed on by cloning, of course, and many beautiful old clones are known to be virused.

Calvin, I'm not a virus expert, but know that viruses in humans can be very opportunistic and multiply when their hosts are under stress.

I disposed of my beautiful C. bicolor last month and it was heart-breaking. I hope that your lovely orchid doesn't have virus, but (here's my unasked for 2 cents) if it is, I wouldn't give it away, even with a warning, but would dispose of it. Sorry to sound so discouraging, and I know you mean well.

Carol

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the advice, Carol. You're right of course - I shouldn't give it away to anyone even if they don't grow orchids (who knows when the bug may bite). I'm actually becoming very interested in plant immunity; there must be a way to harness/enhance the power of the plant immune system to combat these non-lethal viruses. I may have to do some literature searches on this topic...I wonder if anyone has done any work in this area.

• carolinn_on
    15 years ago

Calvin, lately I've been thinking about using natural fertilizer (like fish emulsion) again because I have a feeling it could boost the immune system of the plants. I'd use it only once a month or so during spring and summer.

I learned from experience that using natural fertilizers exclusively were not working and found out why - they are very slow acting, and can build up, causing a lot of problems.!

Carol

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler