Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cyrtopodium saint-legerianum

Posted by ifraser25 z11 Brazil (ifraser57@hotmail.com) on
Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 21:28

This is a rare terrestrial wildflower in this part of Brazil. It is becoming increasingly threatened as so much of its habitat, open grassland, has become farmland. I found a plant in a field a couple of years ago, but when I went back recently there was no sign of it, just a lot of tire marks and cow pats! This is a real shame, as in nature it is a sight to behold, with enormous, up to three foot (1m) long, cigar-shaped pseudobulbs, a bit like Catasetum, and a hundred or so of these glowing yellow-orange flowers. By the way if you'd like to know more about Brazilian wildflowers, which are among the most spectacular in the world, there is a site on flickr. We now have nearly 100 members.

Cyrtopodium saint-legerianum

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cyrtopodium saint-legerianum

That was a beautiful flower. Too bad to loose the habitat. I have heard that you guys do have some protected areas. Our orchid society just had a person talk to us on oncidiums that she had been cataloging in some areas there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here