Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vanda insignis

Posted by cjwatson Z8 FL (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 8, 09 at 21:42

I have come to the conclusion that this is my absolute favorite Vanda species (V. lamellata is 2nd). Not only is V. insignis cute and colorful, but it has the most adorable scoop-shaped lip (see 2nd photo). And, it has enough fragrance to do the whole house.

This is a first bloom on a still small plant from Malaysia. It is one of the medium-sized rather than monster-sized Vandas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vanda insignis (2 photos)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vanda insignis

That is a cutie! I must keep watch for a plant. Frangrance & a small plant to bloom...sounds perfect! Do you remember where you got it?

o

I got it from Dowery Orchids in 2007. Although not on his latest list, Dwayne may have one tucked away on a back bench. Ir's really a great plant.

o

What a big lip!

The glossy thick substance of the floral parts remind me of Vanda merrillii. Lovely.

o

• Posted by bob8 z5 NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 14, 09 at 9:40

Very nice indeed. Paphs. are my passion but I'm getting more and more vandas. I'm currently on vacation in Myrtle Beach and have been hitting all the Lowes in the area looking for bag orchids. Have picked up a dozen vanda bag orchids.

Bob in Albany, N.Y.

o

Great Vanda! Love the cup shape of the lavendar lip contrasting with the rusty petals. Very cool.

BN

o

Yep, V. insignis is a really cute plant. One of the favourite species. I am starting to collect Vandaceae species too. In fact, just got V.luzonica over the weekend from the show.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here