Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bcfromfl

Samoan orchids

bcfromfl
14 years ago

Hi everyone --

My wife and I recently spent about three weeks in the Samoas...both American and Independent...returning three weeks ago. We visited the islands of Tutuila, Aunu'u, Ofu, Olosenga, and Upolu. There aren't as many epiphytic orchids as terrestrial, and Independent Samoa has more species. Following are some that I saw.

Dendrobium in Pago Pago, Tutuila:

{{gwi:1123578}}

Close up of blooms:

{{gwi:1123579}}

Bulbophyllum in bud, in the rain forest on Upolu. Commonly-seen dendrobium with grass-like canes to the right:

{{gwi:1123580}}

Flower cluster of the dendrobium species:

{{gwi:1123581}}

Coelogyne with pods:

{{gwi:1123582}}

It was an enjoyable trip, but bittersweet as well. Our final night there was in a tiny village called Fao Fao Beach, where we stayed in a tiny thatched hut on the beach. That evening we enjoyed a performance from the local children and teens, as they danced to Polynesian songs.

We were fortunate in missing the tsunami. But this village, on the southeast coast of Upolu, was one of the hardest-hit by the giant waves, which topped 30 feet. Judging by the poor level of construction I saw, I can only conclude that this charming community was flattened. Aid could not quickly reach this area, because the tiny road that circles the island was washed out in many places.

I'm haunted by the faces of the children, and their shy, innocent smiles. I hope that they made it. At any rate, much of these beautiful islands will have to live in our memories, as the wreckage and destruction will pollute the coastal areas for years.

-Bruce

{{gwi:1123583}}

Comments (4)