Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Spathoglottis plicata var alba.

orchidnick
10 years ago

Warm to cold grower, can take full sun. Comes in all colors of the rainbow, mine is white. According to Jay Phal it is found in Bangladesh, eastern Himalayas, Assam, India, Sri Lanka, Andaman Islands, Myanamar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Borneo, Java, Malaysia, Sumatra, Moluccas, Philippines, Sulawesi, Bismark Islands, New Guinea, Solomon islands, Queensland Australia, Fiji, Niue, New Caledonia, Samoa, Tonga, Vanuatu, Santa Cruz, Wallis and Futna, Carolines Islands, Marianas, Taiwan and the Ryukyus and as an invasive species Hawaii and the Caribbean. That's about the widest distribution I have seen for anything. I'm growing it warm as it came from Hawaii and is used to that. Sounds like it will grow anywhere dandelions will grow.

Nick

Comments (17)

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A little bit of a space hog, at least vertically speaking. It does have 3 spikes but needs some height.

Nick

• arthurm
    10 years ago

I think it is very easy to grow warm, not so easy in cooler conditions.

• inga007
    10 years ago

Lovely bloom, but a very long stem

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Indeed, that's the reason I posted it.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sphath plicata is found everywhere and comes in all colors. Then there is Spathoglottis deplanchei, grows in New Caledonia only. Some say it's a synonym for plicata, Jay Phal recognizes it as a separate species. It's been in bloom for over 3 months. I thought I posted it but I guess not. The flowers keep falling off as new ones arise from the elongating stalk.

Nick

• inga007
    9 years ago

Love the intense colour.

• arthurm
    9 years ago

This orchid is a weed in tropical places, sadly when i tried one it was quickly RIP. It didn't like East Coast erratic.
    As for the warm to cold grower bit. I do not believe that, it once was grown as a garden plant in beds on this railway station situated in the Rainforest in Tropical north Queensland. They put a sweater on and complain about the cold there if the Temp. drops to say 18C

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic of Kuranda Railway Station.

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It does grow like a weed in Hawaii. It has invaded some of Kawamoto offerings, I once got it as a hitch hiker with something else. They tell me it is all over their yard and pops up in their pots uninvited. Right now the alba variety and a bright yellow variety are in spike. I hope to have all 3 in bloom at the same time and photograph them together.

Nick

• arthurm
    9 years ago

The jargon here for a good weed is volunteer. Being a bit of a scrouge I use things like violas, primula in my spring garden. Freebies from nature.
    Spathoglottis persisted in the railway station garden long after the guy/gal who planted them retired.

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Now I got all three open. Here is the yellow version which is the common one. I have seen it several times at orchid shows or st show and tells of orchid society meetings.

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess one has to enter the picture.

nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view of the yellow version.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Now the white one, which is slightly smaller even though it looks bigger on the picture.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view of the alba.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And the red one which some people say is a separate species growing in New Caledonia only, others say it's a color variation of the plicata which is found all over the world. Mine is on a much shorter stalk and the flowers are 1/2 the size of the yellow one.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view. this one has been in bloom for ever.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more.

Nick