Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetcicely_gw

Response to 'Phal offshoot' by pat_tom

sweetcicely
14 years ago

Pat_tom, this is a Phal of mine that is behaving similarly (in the extreme) to your Phal with the new lead. It has had only ordinary orchid fertilizer, i.e., no boosters or other chemicals. (Sorry; I only know how to post the picture to this side.)

Phal. Ho's Dream Jade x P. Sogo Circus 'Sun Prince'*

This 1 1/2 year old Phal* is in a 3" pot and has four distinct leads. Both of its healthy roots come from the main plant. There are no other roots.

The main plant consists of the two largest leaves and the three small leaves central to them. Plantlet #2 emerged to your right of the big plant; plantlets #3 (not visible in photo) & 4 emerged to your left, under the largest leaf.

These plantlets are not like keikis. It appears that some genetic twist endowed the plant with very active meristematic tissue in its "stem." Whatever ordinarily serves to limit a Phal to one main lead has apparently been turned off in this plant.

If someone on the forum (yoohoo, cjwatson?) can elaborate on this phenomenon, would you please share some of your special knowledge? :)

Sweetcicely

*RHS Registry shows the first parent as Ho's Dreamy Jade and the second as Doritaenopsis Sogo Circus 'Sun Prince'

Image link:

Comments (2)