Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aerangis kirkii

Posted by mrbreeze z6/7 OK (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 5, 09 at 22:45

A little behind the others, eh? The fourth spike seemed to be stalled but started growing rapidly a few days ago. Not fast enough to get in the picture, sadly. Certainly one of my favorite Aerangis species.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aerangis kirkii

SO BEAUTIFUL...and it looks like you have some more fans coming along behind!

Your leaves look quite green - mine are more bronze in color. How much light do you give yours? I need to pick your brain, since you're growing indoors like most of us poor greenhouse-less souls.

o

I'm envious of some of y'all whose plants have extra fans and basal growths. Mine is just one loooong growth that curves upwards, making it look like two or more. Same SBOE stock as most of us seem to have. Their plants must be hella prolific.

I would say mine gets minimal light. Certainly shade and perhaps deep shade. As you know, its hard to describe when dealing with fake light. It basically spends most of its time being about ten inches or more from the far ends of two strip lights. And I might add, i haven't changed the bulbs in probably two years. Been meaning to do that. So in reality it probably gets even less light than you would imagine from my description. (don't tell Howard)

o

Fascinating... Mine gets a fair amount of light. Like Calvin the leaves on mine have a bronze tinge to them. But you have better spikes. I got about 9 spikes, but maybe half of them developed far enough to bloom, and only about 2-3 flowers on each. I still got a nice display, but only because they decided to bloom at the same time. I do have more fans going than you do, maybe it's a tradeoff.

o

Nice one! One thing I've noticed about the couple different SBOE plants I've seen posted here is that the blooms don't appear to be "the same". The petals on my plant are thinner than yours and others.

The more white, the better! ;-)

-Bruce

P.S. Mine is still going strong, and throwing out more spikes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here