Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrbreeze_gw

Angraecum distichum

mrbreeze
16 years ago

I think i got this from SBOE's annual species special about three years ago, but it may have come from somewhere else. It bloomed like crazy right after I got it, and had been growing it in high light for a while. A flower at every node! Then I read they like to grow in shade *rolls eyes*.... so I moved it out of the strong light.

Didn't see another flower for about two years. So I moved it back to higher light, et voila:

It actually has three flowers open now, one on each 'branch'. I remember from a previous blooming that the fragrance is not just sublime, but quite possibly divine. *angels sing* The flower is about 1/4" across. Easy plant.

-MB

Comments (12)

• cbarry
    16 years ago

I've always loved the look of this plant - beautiful!! Glad you figured out what it really wanted!

Great job!
    Carolyn

• olyagrove
    16 years ago

Cute! I shall add that to my wish list :)
    On the side note, how were the plants from the SBOE special? Is that the one for 7.50 a plant, their choice? I am tempted.

Thank you,
    Olya

• picotee_sofl
    16 years ago

Mine gets bright light, too, but I have never noticed a fragrance. Hmmmmm............

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

Nifty flower and nifty leaves.

K

• mrbreeze
    Original Author
    16 years ago

@ Olya, yes, that's the one.

I'm not the best one to judge them because I only did the species special once, and they lost my initial order. So when they refilled the order, they gave me 'better' plants than they normally would have. More specific to what i wanted (Angs), and larger/more established. However, you can't beat 7.50/plant no matter what, so if you don't mind letting them pick, it's a good thing.
    -MB

• paul_
    16 years ago

Cute flower. how big does the plant get?

• mrbreeze
    Original Author
    16 years ago

How big? Check out the link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1124870}}

• komi
    16 years ago

so that's why mine never bloomed. *rolls eyes*
    I don't know what happened to it - traded or killed or.....

It's truly a cute one, though, and everyone should have one! They take up so little space. (Oh, a specimen size one actually takes up some space, but still....)

Good blooming!

• whitecat8
    16 years ago

Mr. B.,

This is a beauty that I've eyed several times. Congrats on getting it back where it belongs. Soon, I'll be getting some CFLs w/ serious wattage, and one of these is on my list.

When you say high light - can you give some details?

Thanks, Whitecat8

• mrbreeze
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, when I say high light I mean low light and when I say medium light I really mean shade and when I say shade I really mean near darkness! :) Cuz...everything is relative to Angs of course!

I guess I could be less obtuse... It had been growing in true shade where your hand waved over it would not have made a shadow. I'd move it around from time to time, here and there, and sometimes it might be near some bulbs. When I moved it to 'higher' light, I hung it within ten inches of the 4' fl. tubes, or within 5-6" of a small sized CFL. More than 'phal light' but less than 'catt light'.
    -MB

• carolinn_on
    16 years ago

Very pretty!
    Some times I think the authors want to err on the side of too little rather than too much light-after all, they don't want to be blamed for scorching plants (and who can blame them), rather would they have us think we're doing something wrong?(!)

Carol

• claritamaria
    16 years ago

Carol truer words were never spoken!
    MB Yeees! Nice!!
    Are those roots in the background?
    2 questions- Fragrance?
    Hanging mounts from tubes. How do you do it?
    I wrap a piece of metal floral string around the balast. One day those tubes are going to give way.

Clara