Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidjim_gw

Growing orchids outside

orchidjim
14 years ago

Hi Everyone !

This is my 1st post to the group. I am putting together a little talk for our orchid society on growing orchids outside, and need some input and help. I am looking for lots of photos and information on how and where your orchids are growing outside "in-sutu" as it were.

Although I am in Florida, it would be really helpful if there were input from all over. Send me any pics of orchids on your porch,hanging on trees, growing ON the trees, lanai, greenhouse, etc. In or out of bloom.

Also, I am interested in what -- if any-- rituals, practices, proceedures you go through to prepare your plants for 'going out' and 'coming in' due to seasonal changes, or just to have some beauty in the house. Even if you " don't do anything to them" and just let them go wild outside--send those pics too. You can send disaster pics of what not to do or what happened when..., as well. We all learn from each other, so thanks in advance. This will be helpful to a lot of people.

How do you guys do it?!

Jim

Zn 9b FL

Comments (15)

• arthurm
    14 years ago

HI Jim, you might get a better response if you repost over on discussions. There is also a search facility there that might help in locating old discussions that might be useful.

• arthurm
    14 years ago

Here is the link to the "Orchid Cultivation" section of the Western Suburbs Orchid Society Inc. photo gallery in Sydney, Australia. Some photos, especially those of Dendrobium speciosum as garden plants may be of interest.

If you want to use them that is fine, though you should acknowledge the source.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orchid cultivation set

• orchidjim
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gosh, Arthurm... Those are exactly the direction that I was hoping to get! Thank you so much. I hope to get more Floridians to contribute, too. Keep them coming, please!

• ifraser25
    14 years ago

We had this built a couple of years ago so the plants would have as natural an environment as possible and of course not need so much watering. It is shaded naturally by treess and only needs a little extra shade cloth in summer when the sun is overhead. I also have a lot of plants in hanging baskets in trees in other parts of the garden. There are drawbacks to growing plants this way, principally leaf nibbling insects and I wouldn't recommend it if you want exhibition plants for that reason but otherwise we're very pleased with the arrangements and flowering has improved dramatically.

{{gwi:193105}}

• Nancy Morrison
    5 years ago

I've just moved to Southwest Florida and am trying to decide how to grow my orchids. It seems crazy to construct a greenhouse when we live on a tropical hammock where they seem to be thriving au natural. I would love ideas for shade structures set into their environments where the orchids could still feel the breezes and reap the benefits of rain water. Thanks!

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    5 years ago

Hi Nancy,

Shade is number one on the list. But we can get cold. It freezes every 10 years or so. And most winters will get in the 40's. An ideal shade house will be able to close down with greenhouse pvc. and add heat. The winter in florida is when my orchids work me the most. Google wiggle wire. A method of adding shade cloth or pvc.

• Nancy Morrison
    5 years ago

I’m leaning toward building a screened in structure and use screen that will filter the light. Do you have any experience with this?

5 years ago

Yes I do. I have the screen that is the smaller grid so it reduces solar by 10%. Not enough. I covered the south side with 25% shade cloth. It was better but not enough. I took down the 25% and replaced it with 50%. That is the number. To install the shade cloth I used wiggle wire on the aluminum cage.

• Nancy Morrison
    5 years ago

Thanks! That’s very helpful.

5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Nancy, will your structure be free standing? Will it be dedicated to orchids and/or other plants? Electric is valuable to run fans, heat and lights. You need a hose. The floor must be porous. Pavers work. I would use lexan for the roof. get 25% shade. You can always add shade cloth.

Now is the time to consider making it a little bit bigger. Make it big enough to expand your collection. And if you have enough room for a table and 4 chairs. With a table you will spend a lot of time in the orchid house. Perfect for any meal and entertaining. With a lot of plants and flowers it becomes the place to be...The table doubles as a work area...

• Nancy Morrison
    5 years ago

Great advise! I was just researching Phifer Sun and Insect screening that offers 65% sun/heat reduction. Was planning to use it over the entire structure, but the Lexan sounds like a viable option. I was originally hoping to allow rain water to enter through the roof so I was trying to avoid a solid cover. However, that would have complicated heating in the winter. It will be free standing (about 30x30). It will be 99% orchids. I really was trying to stay more natural since our surroundings offer natural shade but we’re finding that many areas flood so I have to chose a higher area. I think flexibility is important because I want to be able to take advantage of the seasonal variations. How far south are you? We are just east of Venice. Thanks again for your help. I want to do this right the first time!

5 years ago

I am in Stuart, about the same latitude. However you will be warmer in the summer and cooler in the winter. Most of the time. When the prevailing Southeaster are blowing. Bur a westerly wind will make me very hot. The gulf stream plays a big influence from the southern tip of Florida to a little north of Stuart along the Sea board.

Controlling the water is best. But I have a lot of plants mounted on trees. They get all the rain. Do you have the orchids or will you be building a collection? How many plants in total?

What if your shade/screen is too dark? My lexan area is about 12 x 19. Intentionally small because that is what I heat. It is a small rectangle jutting out from the main pool enclosure. The heating area gets overcrowded in the winter. On cold nights all the bloomers come in the house and the UV pvc gets rolled down and wiggle wired in place. When closed tight and I water it is like a cloud. It dissipates quick. I must be ready to open some flaps when the sun comes out or the plants will cook.

Are you planning on creating a human space?

• Nancy Morrison
    5 years ago

After checking out the light meter readings today, I’m rethinking my original location. It’s convenient but too hot and sunny. I am now trying to envision how I can situate them among the oaks and palms. That’s where they’ve been and they seem to be happy with very little care. I could mount them, but I would have to do it in a way that would allow me to take them to shows. I like your idea of a space to keep them from freezing. I could probably use our lanai with the hurricane shutters closed and a heater. I probably have around 150 orchids of various types. Sounds like your microclimate is more orchid friendly. Again, all your advice has been very helpful. Thanks!

5 years ago

With shade cloth it will be adjustable and can be as cool or cooler than shady trees. But with shady trees you cannot increase the light...

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida