Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thuvucute

Blue orchid!

thuvucute
16 years ago

this is the first time i get many bloom like this. 7 blooms. I don't know the name of this cat, got it from lowes baggy orchid.

Thu

Image link:

Comments (14)

• Sheila
    16 years ago

Wow, perhaps some can ID it. I'd love to know it's name. That is the most truly blue catt I've ever seen. Good growing.

Sheila :)

• olyagrove
    16 years ago

Gorgeous...too bad you do not have the tag :(
    Olya

• texasopt
    16 years ago

I'm impressed that your blue orchid came as a Lowes bag baby! Nice :)

• triciami5
    16 years ago

Very blue and beautiful, so hard to see a true blue one. Congrats!! Tricia

• ifraser25
    16 years ago

Very impressive. You really ought to get back to the people who sold it you and find out exactly what it is. Really blue Cattleyas like this are extremely rare. If it is part of a seedling batch the others may not have this color. If you could identify it, it might be worth taking it to a reputable lab and getting it cloned. It could be worth a lot of $$$$$$!. Ian.

• olyagrove
    16 years ago

All the bagged seedlings in my area come from sunbulb
    worth a try contacting them
    http://www.sunbulb.com/

Olya

• whitecat8
    16 years ago

Beautiful color!

Was the name of the grower on the tag or on the pot? If so, you may be able to start there. Or, if you remember about when you got the plant, that particular Wal-Mart should be able to tell you the name of their vendor at the time.

From Minnesota, I tracked down a "must have no matter what" orchid that had been sold 9 months earlier in an East coast big box store I'd never heard of. All I had to do was be polite and ask every person in the chain what THEY called the orchid and where THEY got it and did they have the number for the vendor they got it from or the city where that vendor is.

It seems that some mass-marketed orchid's names aren't registered, so any vendor along the distribution chain can call it what they want.

The plant I was looking for had been a Valentine special. Being able to tell people that helped a lot in finding another one.

Anyone else have any tips?

Whitecat8

• sdahl
    16 years ago

Awesome color!

Sharon

• littlehawaii36
    14 years ago

Hi
    Your orchid's name is blc volcano blue.
    I got one too!!!

• terpguy
    14 years ago

Nice! But do you think you could post a pic with better lighting? It looks slightly tampered with, or at least the pic is not quite to color. I'm kinda seeing a slight blue hue all over...look at the plastic pot. I'm wondering if maybe the darkness makes it look a bit more blue than it actually is? The only orchids I've seen even close to that color are thelymitras. Hope I'm wrong, and I'm not trying to make accusations at all, but something seems off to me :(

• xmpraedicta
    14 years ago

I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with terpguy :( sorry to be a downer, but catt breeders have been trying to achieve this colour for decades; since most bag babies are mericlones (someone correct me if this is not the case), I think the existence of a hybrid like this would be well known in the orchid world (and probably being sold for a pretty penny).

Lighting can effect colours in unexpected ways - lavenders and violets are typically very difficult to photograph true, appearing as either blue, or pink.

• quinnfyre
    14 years ago

It doesn't have to be tampered with to be wrong. Digital cameras never seem to be able to capture that pale purple color (so-called 'blue') without some doing, and I almost always get that true blue color instead. Which is a pretty color, but wrong, and then people get all excited, since actual blue is a rare color in all sorts of different plant types. So if the OP doesn't have a photo editing program to correct the color back to what it's supposed to look like, then there you go. Even then, it's hard to sometimes get the color of the blooms right without messing up the color everywhere else. I try to at least push it back into the purplish range, generally.

Anyway, the OP posted this almost 2 yrs ago, so I don't know how likely it is they'll be posting a different shot of these blooms : )

• sambac
    14 years ago

Is it too blue to be true?)> Buu.. I did fall in love with the colour...

• terpguy
    14 years ago

Oops, you're right! LOL funny how these ancient threads get dredged up!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!