Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue orchid!

Posted by thuvucute 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 24, 07 at 13:04

this is the first time i get many bloom like this. 7 blooms. I don't know the name of this cat, got it from lowes baggy orchid.

Thu

Image link: Blue orchid! (27 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue orchid!

Wow, perhaps some can ID it. I'd love to know it's name. That is the most truly blue catt I've ever seen. Good growing.

Sheila :)

o

Gorgeous...too bad you do not have the tag :(
Olya

o

I'm impressed that your blue orchid came as a Lowes bag baby! Nice :)

o

Very blue and beautiful, so hard to see a true blue one. Congrats!! Tricia

o

Very impressive. You really ought to get back to the people who sold it you and find out exactly what it is. Really blue Cattleyas like this are extremely rare. If it is part of a seedling batch the others may not have this color. If you could identify it, it might be worth taking it to a reputable lab and getting it cloned. It could be worth a lot of $$$$$$!. Ian.

o

All the bagged seedlings in my area come from sunbulb
worth a try contacting them
http://www.sunbulb.com/

Olya

o

Beautiful color!

Was the name of the grower on the tag or on the pot? If so, you may be able to start there. Or, if you remember about when you got the plant, that particular Wal-Mart should be able to tell you the name of their vendor at the time.

From Minnesota, I tracked down a "must have no matter what" orchid that had been sold 9 months earlier in an East coast big box store I'd never heard of. All I had to do was be polite and ask every person in the chain what THEY called the orchid and where THEY got it and did they have the number for the vendor they got it from or the city where that vendor is.

It seems that some mass-marketed orchid's names aren't registered, so any vendor along the distribution chain can call it what they want.

The plant I was looking for had been a Valentine special. Being able to tell people that helped a lot in finding another one.

Anyone else have any tips?

Whitecat8

o

• Posted by sdahl Near Yosemite (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 26, 07 at 13:06

Awesome color!

Sharon

o

Hi
Your orchid's name is blc volcano blue.
I got one too!!!

o

Nice! But do you think you could post a pic with better lighting? It looks slightly tampered with, or at least the pic is not quite to color. I'm kinda seeing a slight blue hue all over...look at the plastic pot. I'm wondering if maybe the darkness makes it look a bit more blue than it actually is? The only orchids I've seen even close to that color are thelymitras. Hope I'm wrong, and I'm not trying to make accusations at all, but something seems off to me :(

o

I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with terpguy :( sorry to be a downer, but catt breeders have been trying to achieve this colour for decades; since most bag babies are mericlones (someone correct me if this is not the case), I think the existence of a hybrid like this would be well known in the orchid world (and probably being sold for a pretty penny).

Lighting can effect colours in unexpected ways - lavenders and violets are typically very difficult to photograph true, appearing as either blue, or pink.

o

It doesn't have to be tampered with to be wrong. Digital cameras never seem to be able to capture that pale purple color (so-called 'blue') without some doing, and I almost always get that true blue color instead. Which is a pretty color, but wrong, and then people get all excited, since actual blue is a rare color in all sorts of different plant types. So if the OP doesn't have a photo editing program to correct the color back to what it's supposed to look like, then there you go. Even then, it's hard to sometimes get the color of the blooms right without messing up the color everywhere else. I try to at least push it back into the purplish range, generally.

Anyway, the OP posted this almost 2 yrs ago, so I don't know how likely it is they'll be posting a different shot of these blooms : )

o

Is it too blue to be true?)> Buu.. I did fall in love with the colour...

o

Oops, you're right! LOL funny how these ancient threads get dredged up!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here