Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treefrog_calgary

Winter/indoor setup

treefrog_calgary
17 years ago

Hello everyone, here's my winter set up. I grow these by a south-facing window, so they get plenty of light. I also have full-spectrum lights to lenghthen the daylight hours in winter.

The contraption is wodden with an acrylic back and I've sealed the base so I can use my pump sprayer to water them. There are bamboo strips nailed to the wood on which the mounts are hoooked so they can be removed to inspect for buds, shoots, bugs, etc.

Please post photos of how you grow your orchids and tell us your tips and secrets.

Cheers

Rodrigo

Comments (22)

• nora_cy_lee
    17 years ago

Where did you purchase the light stand and what kind of light bulb is it, Rodrigo? I know nothing about artificial lights.

• treefrog_calgary
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Nora, the lamps are from Home Depot. 2 clamp-ons and 2 fluorescent tubes. I got the actual bulbs from Quick Grow on Macleod trail north, just south of 16Ave in Calgary. They are a hydoponics store and have all sorts of bulbs for very good prices. The fluorecent tubes are from a pet store. I think it was Pisces Pet Emporium.
    Cheers
    Rodrigo

• xmpraedicta
    17 years ago

It's a great idea to have made a waterproof back, so that you can water them all without having to remove every single mount. Did you need to pre-treat the wood so that it is also waterproof? That is one of the biggest things I am working on - not needing to move and water every plant.

• mehitabel
    17 years ago

I like the idea of a tall narrow box for mounts. How do you water?

• nora_cy_lee
    17 years ago

Hi Rodrigo, I have seen your trade list and I would like to discuss with you. Could you email me at nora_cy_lee@yahoo.com? I was not able to locate your email from your web page.

• Charm
    17 years ago

You have a wonderful setup going on there, they look very happy!~Charm

• carolinn_on
    17 years ago

Didn't notice your post 'til now! That's quite an ingenious set-up and the plants look so healthy!

Carol

• sdahl
    17 years ago

Very clever! They all look quite happy there.

Sharon

• treefrog_calgary
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

So does noone have photos of how you grow your plants? I'd like to see some set ups.

Mehitabel: I spray them with a pummp sprayer. It's a little more powerful than misting and more like rain. It alll drips to the bootom biut it's sealed so it doesn't rot. I mix distilled water with tap water.

Come on people post your pics! Also, if you click on the photos you it will take you to the flickr page where the orchids are labled somewhat

Cheers
    Rodrigo

• nora_cy_lee
    17 years ago

Hi Rodrigo, Do you still have Mediocalar Decoratum to trade? Actually, I do not have anything that you are looking for. Do you consider selling that? You can email me at nora_cy_lee@yahoo.com.

Nora

• amyleee217
    17 years ago

This is my lovely growing area :) since i am allergic to cats, and they seem to do more damage than good to the orchids, my stuffed giraffe keeps me company. he never bites my spikes or knocks things over. this is in front of a north facing window - but the ceilings are high and there are 2 huge south facing windows up high that let a LOT more light in. I found the roses on top at the $.99 store and couldn't resist a little color for that price :)
    Rodrigo, I love your mounts! I am thinking of stringing up some chicken wire around the sides of my shelf to hang a few mounts on. I'd love to see other people's setup too.

• treefrog_calgary
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Cool set up Amy. Do try mounties. They are my favourites. What I like best is that I can grow so many in sucha small space.
    Keep those photos coming! :)
    Rodrigo

• chippybug10
    17 years ago

Amy,
    I have nearly the exact same setup. Same shelves and probably the same lights...funny. You know, if you are pressed for space, or want to create a shelf for taller plants, you could try hanging the lights using s-hooks instead of the chains included. I found the s-hooks are a lot easier to deal with and you can hang the lights as close to the shelf as possible. When I set up my newest shelf (I have three of these set up right now), I played around with the shelf placement, grouping similar sized plants together on shelves. I think these shelves are perfect for indoor growers, you can easily adjust the space between shelves, and imho, they are more attractive than wooden shelves.

• amyleee217
    17 years ago

hi Chippy!
    cool! My shelf is from Target. I do have s-hooks on my chains. I like this setup a lot allthough it is kind of difficult to move the shelves up and down. it is a 2 person job for me. can you move yours by yourself? i have been meaning to adjust the shelves, but i'd have to take all the plants off and its hard to time it when my boyfriend is home and willing to help. I've been thinking of setting up an area for the real shorties, just waiting for some spare $$$ (when does THAT ever happen) to buy 2 more fixtures. I'd love to see some pics of yours.

• chippybug10
    17 years ago

Yea, I move the shelves by myself, although it is much easier w/someone else helping. I just stand in the middle of the shelf and bang on the ends w/a hammer to loosen em up. It is annoying to have to take the plants off to move things around. With my first two shelves (I setup them at once when I had about 100 plants) I had to keep moving the shelves after I got the whole thing set up. I'll post some pics tomorrow hopefully.

• amyleee217
    17 years ago

Hmm I will have to try using a hammer. that must be easier than banging on them w/ your hands like we have been. it makes me nervous. looking forward to seeing your setup :)

• shaunsarctic_orchids
    17 years ago

Here's mine, 6-40 W tubes and 3-45 W CFL's, around a 100 plants (lots of babies). I have forced air heating so keeping the humidity up is a constant battle.

Shaun

• xmpraedicta
    17 years ago

Wow it's great to see everyone's set-up! I'll post pictures of mine soon too - no grow lights allowed at home (my mom would go ballistic if I put compact fluorescents in the dining room!) but I do have a little one at residence. Humidity is always a problem for me too!

• milda_orchidfan
    17 years ago

This is my simple set-up!
    Just now I am working on an easier way to water my orchids. I want to connect a hose to the boxes so I don't need to move the boxes to the kitchen for watering. How do you water?

{{gwi:1127081}}

Milda

• lagoon
    17 years ago

Hay it's great to see everyone set ups!!
    Amy, I'm pretty much doing the same as you. I've got T8's hooked up.I'm curious to know what types of lights you used - My T8's didn't come with the coverage yours did.I dislike seeing the lights. I didn't use the chain, I used tie raps, pretty strong, holds in place real well. Dunno I kinda like the chain look though.

LOL - It's true it's a 2 person job to set these things up, uhhhh you learn these things as you go.
    I just set up another stand last nite, This is for mainly my tree frogs. Although I don't think squeezing a few of mommies orchids would matter to the frogs.hee hee

Keep those photo's comming, love to see what others are doing. I'll try to get some up soon.

Gloria

• treefrog_calgary
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm glad more people have posted photos. Here are a few photos of my other orchids in the dining room.If you click on the photo it you can see the labels and larger sizes:

Cheers
    Rodrigo

• treefrog_calgary
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I should add that the floor was just laid and that now I will have to be more careful when watering with my pump sprayer. I also forgot to mention that the windows are west facing with a small pane facing south.
    Cheers
    Rodrigo