Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zygopetalum crinitum

Posted by ifraser25 z11 Brazil (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 9, 09 at 22:04

This is one of the most spectacular wild flowers of this area. It is generally found at relatively high altitudes, above 1500 meters, growing terrestrially, usually on south-facing (shaded) slopes, though some of the specimens I have seen may well be another species ie. Zyg. mackayi. They might hybridize, I'm not sure. It is scented and a truly beautiful and quite large plant.

Zygopetalum crinitum

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zygopetalum crinitum

The venation on that lip is outstanding!

o

Wow! that is one dramatic, bold orchid. It's not a feminine-beauty type of orchid, it's "tigery"! If I'm making any sense, that is...

o

Very nice, Ian! This has always been my favorite Zygopetalum species.

I am confused by the "official" Brasilian position re: Z. crinitum . In the past year+, I have noticed that vendors from Brasil are now openly selling this species. Years ago, Alvim Seidel wrote me that it was illegal to export this species from Brasil. Even as recently as early 2008, another vendor (who will remain nameless since he's still alive!), wrote to me that he could not bring Z. crinitum out of Brasil.

Can you provide further info, please?

--Stitz--

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here