Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
first ever orchid

Posted by terrycinor (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 20, 08 at 22:28

I posted a question about the kind of orchid this is on the discussion forum.

Image link: first ever orchid (20 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: first ever orchid

Your orchid is a so-called Phal. Type Dendrobium. The name comes from the species Dendrobium phalaenopsis which is one of the ancestors.
As for cultivation it needs warmth, moderate humidity and good light throughout the year to grow and Flower. Find some complete culture notes on the net that relate to where you live in the United States via Google. Put in Dendrobium, culture or Dendrobium, growing. You may find some culture for nobile type Dens, ignore those as the conditions required especially in winter are very different.

o

Thanks for the help, the growth habit and flower shape just did not look like a phal it did seem to match a dendro I'm glad I guessed right.

Here is a link that might be useful: my flower

o

Beautiful color. Great first orchid!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here