Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Twinkle

jane__ny
15 years ago

Cute little plant which 'unfortunately' smells like Sharry Baby. Luckily it is not as strong.

From the sale table last year at Smith & Hawkin.

{{gwi:1128698}}

Jane

Comments (9)

• me_171
    15 years ago

Cute plant, I personally would be happy it smells like sherry baby. A lot of people, including me, put up with the huge plant just because of the smell.

On second look are you positive it isn't some kind of small sherry baby the flowers look exactly like mine. I have sherry baby 'sweet fragrance.'

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Me, the tag reads Onc. Twinkle 'Sharry Baby'. You are right. It is a small version of the large plant. The flowers are pink. Sharry is usually brownish-red and very stinky. I had one which became a monster and I gave it away. I swore to never have another again because the smell would make me sick.

This little one grows to about 8 inches and smells the same but very faint - thank goodness. Some people love the smell, but the big Sharry is just too strong for me.

Jane

• Sheila
    15 years ago

Very pretty! I have a terrible time growing oncids. I do have a couple twinkles that seem to have been in spike/bud forevvvvvvver. Is this normal?

• me_171
    15 years ago

That explains it. My Sherry Baby is lighter like this one less brown more red/pink. Like I said I love the smell, I can see how it could make some peoples stomachs queazy though.

• digitalphrag
    15 years ago

Well, Onc. Twinkle is a primary hybrid, and is not the same cross as Onc. Sharry Baby. But these two hybrids share some of the same species (ornithorhyncum) in their background, which explains why they have a similar fragrance. Twinkle is a pretty small plant, Sharry Baby is noticeably larger.

It's interesting to note that some people think the fragrance is awful, where as others (like me) love the fragrance. Some of this is personal preference, some of this is growing conditions. I've had a division of a friends Onc. Sharry Baby that smelled wonderful, like vanilla/chocolate/coconut, in his sunroom with natural light and cooler night temps, but under my fluorescent lights, the fragrance smelled more like a chemical (moth balls?). For me, Onc. Twinkle has a lighter fragrance, but unfortunately, it is more similar to the chemical fragrance than the vanilla/chocolate scent.

• meg_awat
    15 years ago

Granniek
    It can be normal for the spikes to take a long time, especially mini's.
    Cool night temperatures usually pushes them forward.
    Don't forget to run the plant dry- rest watering!

The fragrance of standard Sharry Baby is directly related to high day temeratures, specifically morning temperatures.
    The higher the temperature, the more fragrant.
    Notice the difference between bloom fragrance strength during the warmer months.

The are easy to bloom manipulate for maximum (or minimum) fragrance.
    MegA

• terpguy
    15 years ago

I've never heard of the Sharry Baby clone of Twinkle, its very cute. I'm familiar with 'Red Fantasy', a more popular clone. They are both beautifully colored! My 'Fragrance Fantasy' is in bloom as we speak. I'm really falling for these small oncidiums!

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

These plant begin to spike in July. Takes almost 6 months before they flower. I don't even look at them anymore. Problem I have is they get bumped around over summer and some spikes get broken or damaged. Sharry doesn't take as long to flower. Mine would spike in Aug/Sept and flower in Nov.

This little guy takes forever to finally flower but is a very easy plant to grow...great beginner plant.

Jane

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

I have to HAVE ONE! That is SWEET!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH