Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Coeloogyne cristata

orchidnick
10 years ago

Cold grower from the slopes of the Himalayas. For me, another harbinger of spring. The first flower of at least 100 has opened, by the end of January and into Feb they'll all be open. I have an alba version which has spikes but not open yet.

Nick

Comments (20)

• ashes_of_the_fire
    10 years ago

Mines not in spike yet. I'm patiently waiting! I'll just enjoy yours for now...

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hope you won't get disappointed, the spikes should be evident by now. I have 3 of them and one will disappoint me this spring as it has for the last 4 years.

There are 2 distinct growing characteristics and 2 types of flowers. The pbulbs can be tightly packed or they can be rambling with 2" or so rhizome between them. The flowers can be pure white (alba) or have the more common yellow throat.

The one show in the above picture is the rambling type and is a profuse bloomer. The plant however was fairly big when it first bloomed Here is a picture of the spacing between the pbulbs. This one has the yellow throat but I know albas can also ramble.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The other one I have had for ever and it has never before bloomed, is the compact type. The pbulbs are tightly packed, all 30 of them. A friend has one which also has never bloomed. Both came from the same vendor so could be sibs meaning the non-blooming, or 'slow to bloom' characteristic may not be associated with the compact growth habit. I don't know if this one is an alba as it has never bloomed before, this spring it will show it's colors as it finally has a few spikes.

The vendor reassures me that when it will finally bloom, it will blow me away as the flowers are also tightly packed and it will look like a huge snowball. Talk to me in mid February to see if he's right.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The 3rd variety I have is a division of the one that won 'Best of Show' at the Tokyo World Orchid Conference a few years ago. It was this gigantic snowball called 'Coelogyne cristata fina hololeuca âÂÂPure whiteâÂÂ. I believe fina means variety. This one is both a rambler and an alba but has totally different bloom characteristics than the other two I have.

I got it this spring from the Japanes grower who exhibited it in Tokyo and whom I met in Santa Barbara for the outrageous price of $150. Well worth it as we'll see. The 5 small pbulbs in the center of the plant is what I got in April. The 4 large bulbs have developed since then so it seems to be a very willing grower.

What's really making me happy is that this relatively small plant has 4 spikes. My other 2 were huge before they finally decided to bloom. Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come. It was not a white Christmas (SOCAL) but it should turn out to be a white Spring.

Nick

• ifraser25
    10 years ago

This orchid is definitely my "bete noir". I tried to grow it in England. Not enough light in winter. I have tried to grow it in Brazil. Too warm. I remember reading a book when I was new to orchids, saying it was an "ideal beginner's orchid". Not so, I'm sad to say. Good growing. - Ian.

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm sure your growing technique is superb, Ian, your real estate choices suck. Remember it's 'Location, location, location. Move to the foothills of the Himalayas, about 10,000' elevation should do fine and you'll grow an FCC plant in no time.

Nick

• ashes_of_the_fire
    10 years ago

I will admit that I'd heard that many people on here who grow it don't give it a winter rest, last year I did and it bloomed, this year I haven't and so far nothing... It did catch me off guard last year though, it may not do anything until February. Well just have to wait and see!

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have never rested mine, possibly that's the reason they were slow with their first bloom. Now they seem fully accustomed to very wet conditions

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's now coming into it's own with about 1/2 the flowers open. A show coming up in early Feb might just be at the right time.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's ready for the show, unfortunately the show won't be for another 3 weeks. Too bad. Oh well, there is a society meeting tomorrow night, will just have to impress there.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Now the alba (Coelogyne cristata fina hololeuca âÂÂPure WhiteâÂÂ) is beginning to open. It has 9 spikes, 2 are ready to open, many of the rest should open at the same time later. There is no yellow in the lip, as the name implies, pure white.

Nick

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

I'm speechless.

Jane

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A woman from New York ---- speechless!! I'm impressed.

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Now the 1st spike of 9 of the alba form is fully open.

Nick

• ashes_of_the_fire
    10 years ago

Omg! I love regular cristata, alba takes my breath away! I don't think mine is going to bloom this year, it didn't drop leaves like it normally does. It didn't get the message without a rest... Good thing I have oodles of pictures of your gargantuan specimen to keep me happy!

• ashes_of_the_fire
    10 years ago

Omg! I love regular cristata, alba takes my breath away! I don't think mine is going to bloom this year, it didn't drop leaves like it normally does. It didn't get the message without a rest... Good thing I have oodles of pictures of your gargantuan specimen to keep me happy!

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is possibly to buy the alba form. I can give you the email of the Japanese nursery that has it. They regularly send plants to Cal Orchids and can included a division with a shipment. Then Cal Orchid can forward it to you. Gets a little pricey by the time all the steps have been completed but it can be done

Nick

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The name of the nursery in Japan is Suwada Orchids. Google them up and their front page has a section for US customers who can obtain plants channeled through a California nursery in Carpenteria, not Cal Orchids. This avoids the need for an import permit. They seem to roll out the welcome matt for US customers.

Nick

• Pat z6 MI
    10 years ago

OMG. It is so beautiful.
    Thank you for posting.

• ashes_of_the_fire
    10 years ago

Unfortunately I'm canadian.... One of these days I'll get settled and figure out how to do import permits.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County