Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michoice

lc.puppy love 'true beauty' am/rhs. am/aos.

michoice
16 years ago

I was given a division of this many years ago, it's quite an old hybrid and I was wondering if there is still any of it about. It has a lovely scent and the flower stems can be 12 inches or more in length.

Comments (16)

• xmpraedicta
    16 years ago

This is beautiful! I love the soft coloring on this one.

• triciami5
    16 years ago

So dainty looking, and love the color combo. Fits the name (true beauty)

• Charm
    16 years ago

Yes, I was also given a division 2 years ago....yours is gorgeous!~Charm

• olyagrove
    16 years ago

Lovely colors
    Olya

• orchiddude
    16 years ago

Its nice to see someone else growing this also. Lovely flowers, beautiful colors. I bought mine from Steward Orchids along time ago. A wonderful orchid to grow.
    {{gwi:306109}}

• sdahl
    16 years ago

I love it! Used to have a Puppy Love, but had to leave it behind during the move. Gorgeous pink!

Sharon

• wetfeet101b
    16 years ago

I also have one that is labeled as Lc Puppy Love 'True Beauty' HCC/AOS but the colors are not as pronounced as the other photos on this thread.
    Mine looks like the colors did not fully mature.

It has a slight pink/purple tint on the petals, but otherwise the white is still very dominant. Same for the throat and lip.

• orchiddude
    16 years ago

I love the white color, I wish I had a piece of that. Maybe we could swap pieces next spring.

• paul_
    16 years ago

very nice!

• toyo2960
    16 years ago

Lc. Puppy Love is a cross of C. Dubiosa 'Scullys' x L. anceps barkeriana. It was hybridized and registered by Ernest Hetherington and Stewarts Orchids with the RHS in October 1970. It was patented by Stewarts where the vareity "Puppy Love' was mericloned and offered for sale. It has an HCC/AOS, AM/AOS, and AM/RHS. Primarliy a fall and winter bloomer, it has the growth habit of Dubiosa but the long inflorescence of L. anceps and wider tepals from Dubiosa. It has a so-called "cold tolerance" from the anceps (meaning, it can tolerate night temperatures down to the low 40 F degrees.

• aerides
    15 years ago

That is beautifully flowered. It actually looks like the photo from the Stewarts catalog that made me fall in love with it. Mine (house-grown) never developed that gorgeous coloring. Too-warm conditions must contribute to its tendency to wash out.

John

• michoice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

John if it's of interest, this plant has been grown at a minimum temp. of 60'f at night and 70 during the day warmer at times during the summer of course and has flowered regularly each year. The colour doesn't seem to vary very much. Peter

• aerides
    15 years ago

Yes, thanks. Those temps (especially night) would be quite a bit cooler than my "houseplant catts" receive.

J

• bullsie
    15 years ago

I purchased one last year from Seagrove Orchids. Very nice plant, and they bloom in a small pot - I believe mine, came in bud, was in a 2.5 or 3" pot. A very lovely oldie to have. It's color is much like the second photo.

• savtaj
    15 years ago

I love them both, but prefer the delicate mauve of the first photo. I can smell the fragrance from here!
    Judy

• rene09
    15 years ago

I have a Puppy Love that is a soft lavender. It has had spikes on it since Dec. It blooms more than any other Catt I have. No pics at this time they have just faded but it has 2 new ones coming on. It smells delicios!!!