Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 13:02

Blooms twice a year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Br. Jimminey Cricket

second shot

o

I have an Epidendrum mininocturnum that just opened, looks just like it. Origin SBOE?

Nick

o

Brassavola nodosa x Rhyncholaelia (Brassavola) digbyana.

The parents

o

The smell must be amazing!

o

I thought the same about the fragrance. But it is modest, and mild. But I still like the plant...

o

Nice blooms. Looks like it needs a fair bit of room too.

o

After the bloom I intend to mount a piece on a board. I think it will like that.

o

I have a young b. cordata. I know it's not as strong smelling as nodosa, hoping that's a good thing!

o

Hi ashes. I have b. cordata. Now in many places. Including mounted on trees in my yard. They are strongly scented. I brought a large plant to our monthly meeting. It was so strong a few people had to leave the room. But most enjoyed it. Brassavolas grow so easy in South Florida. If us humans showed up another million years later my guess is that they would be natural species. Geographically they are close.

o

Wow, very very nice. Thanks for posting the inspiring photo. I must hold my Jiminy Cricket to the monitor and show it how to behave.

I've waited 7 years for my Jiminy to flower. It squeezed out one bloom. It's in a basket, it still gets some tip rot. I moved it right in front of a fan. I have Brassvola nodosa, it does not complain and still blooms. I have another cross with R. digbyana, it blooms faithfully and does not complain.
Is there some mystery about Jiminy Cricket that I am missing? argh

Please send morale support and culture notes Please! Thanks~
Maryanne in WMass

o

Hi Maryanne! If growing orchids was easy you are not trying hard enough. Mine get the same culture as my nodosa. So I think you must be doing everything right. Perhaps your Jiminy might be challenged. Try another Jiminy? I admire your efforts with any success to grow warm loving orchids in your zone...It likes zone 10b...

o

Thanks for the response! It's true New England is a tough climate, and I have to choose species and varieties carefully - for cold tolerance.
Just got done with below Zero temps and snow. Today it's 38 F - feels tropical ; -)
Cheers~
ML

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here