Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Epi. Rene Marqui 'flame thrower'
I bought this plant at the world orchid conference in Miami in 2008. Each year it grows one or 2 canes. Each cane is bigger than the last. The first, including cane and a long florescence was about 3feet. Now it is 6feet!

Comments (19)

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

The length of these canes is amazing. Love that plant.

Nick

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

By the way, it's an Epicatt. I have the 'Flamethrower' clone and also one called 'Tyler' which has never bloomed. I wonder if it will be different.

Nick

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Nick on the proper name....

• arthurm
    10 years ago

Yes, it is an epicat. and has accents over some of the e's but i have no idea how to get word to type that. Not too worry, I have long desired one but the 6 foot cane length is a worry.
    Epicat. Rene Marques 'Flame Thrower' is the best i can do.

This post was edited by arthurm on Sat, Dec 7, 13 at 1:04

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the correction. I'm sure it is Rene Marques "flame thrower". Now in full bloom...

Original Author
    10 years ago

Look how tall...

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

This room that it's in has space for 1,682 orchids, get busy buying hem.

Nick

• arthurm
    10 years ago

That is Nick's law...something like nature Abhors an empty glass-house.
    I have struck this orchid off my to-buy list. 6 foot is too tall for my orchid growing places. About 4 foot tall is my limit.

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

Wow, that's incredible. Love the flower. I would tie that plant to a tree and let the spike peek out.

Jane

• terpguy
    10 years ago

Love this. And i'm such a fan of Epi. pseudepidendrum and its cousin, Epi ilense.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Nick,
    That space does look tempting. It is fools gold. I do have orchids scattered around that space and several other spots. But due to our winters it would be a problem. Every few years we will hit lows in the high 20's. And many other years there will be temps in the 30's. And every year we get 40's. So the space you saw was in essence a temporary grow spot.

The picture shows a mini greenhouse. Main function is protection from the winter. I roll down the eisenglass, zip it up, turn on the heater. Then be sure to monitor temps to raise and lower the flaps. Winter is the most work for my orchids.

That small space gets loaded to beyond capacity. The balance gets shuttled in my house. The house gets the bloomers for our pleasure and they take more room.

The "empty" space has other applications too. Like party time last night....

• shirley-z-8-tx
    10 years ago

Beautiful ! I have a small one of these but had no idea it could get so large. If mine makes it I will have a hard time finding a place for it.

• terpguy
    10 years ago

Shirley, it's the pseudepidendrum in it. Can be a massive plant.

• inga007
    10 years ago

The height of it, blows you away!
    The blooms are lovely.

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

Mine is in bud and it's 5' tall. This is it's 3rd bloom and it gets taller each time. 1st bloom was less than 3'. Shirley, you have that to look forward to.

Nick

Original Author
    10 years ago

The same plant has a second cane in the same season for the first time in its life. But the second cane is much shorter than the last. I'll post pictures when it blooms. It might be a while...

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

Wonder how they'd do growing on a tree? I love how those long spikes would appear under the leaf canopy.

Jane

Original Author
    10 years ago

My best guess is it would not be a candidate for a tree. I have it in a wooden basket with a very long hanger wire. I use the wire to tie it to.

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

My turn to be amazed by their height.[ My flowers are all over the place, I have not moved it since it was in bud, don't know why they are not lined up the way they should be.

Nick

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner