Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mediocalar decoratum

Posted by orchidnick z9Ca (orchidnick@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Dec 25, 13 at 15:51

A cold grower from Papua, new Guinea and immediate area. Makes a mat, I have it in a hanging plastic basket. The flowers are small so I have the usual difficulty to get it focused on my cell phone.

Nick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mediocalar decoratum

The entire box. The ones commonly seen are M decoratum and M veerstegii. Veerstigii is interesting as it comes in different varieties. All veerstegii have a red body, the rims are as follows:

Mediocalar versteegii var versteegii has a yellow rim.
Mediocalar versteegii var vulcanicum has a white rim.
Mediocalar versteegii var intermedium has a green rim
Mediocalar versteegii var amphigenium, I cannot find a picture nor a description.

Mediocalar paradoxum red body / green rim, often 2 flowers
Mediocalar uniflorum red body / green rim.
Mediocalar bifolium red body / white rim.
Mediocalar aganthodoensis red body / green rim.

Several have the red body with a green rim and the only way to distinguish them is by the growth characteristics which is different.

Then there are a few with orange bodies and one with a yellow body. Mediocalar decoratum, the one shown, has the orange body with yellow rim.

Nick

o

Very pretty and delicate looking. What are you growing it in?

Jane

o

It's growing in 'Gorilla Hair', a nickname we have given redwood fibers who make sort of a mat. Retains more moisture than bark but less than shagnum Moss.

Nick

o

Now they are all open, pretty little things.

Nick

o

Lovely little bells!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchid Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here