Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xmpraedicta

Some recent bloomers (Sept - Dec)

xmpraedicta
13 years ago

Haven't posted here in a while, but thought I'd share some of the recent bloomers to make the weather outside a bit more bearable (we have -12 here today)

These are all from Sept-Dec, ever since I moved to my new place (basement apartment, zero sunlight). I know getting spikes and blooms isn't really indicative of anything because most of the energy for the flowering probably came from summer culture, but it's still reassurance that things will be okay.

Cattleyopsis cubensis

Dendrobium tetragonum

Epigeneium triflorum var orientale

Dendrobium capra

Angraecum didierii

Aerangis distincta (my proudest achievement, probably.. Check out my flickr for more photos. I was a little trigger happy with this one)

Aerangis brachycarpa

Coelogyne fimbriata

Pteroceras semiteritifolium

Comments (14)

• dragon_kite
    13 years ago

I love your mounties!!!

Summer culture is important but if your current conditions were unbearable, they would blast or worse, die....so I wouldn't worry about it. You grow some pretty awesome sh*t! And that's how impressed I am, I'm actually cursing!

I'm glad med school hasn't made you neglect your 'chids.

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Steph...I just rigged up my automatic misting system today. Fingers crossed that I don't come back from the vacation to boxes of dead plants

• ifraser25
    13 years ago

Nice ones Calvin, but what's with the apartment? How are you growing these now? I feel ludicrously overprivileged having a huge garden that I can put orchids anywhere in. Wish I could send you some of our sunshine...

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ian: wouldn't that be nice Christmas present, especially with the summer season starting for you guys down there. I have some fluorescent lights that I use...they're adequate but by no means ideal :(

I can't grow anything too big or anything that needs too much light, but one day, I'm going to build a huge grow room/green house and finally grow some of those amazing laelia purpuratas, cattleyas, and an entire wall of species phals.

• michoice
    13 years ago

A lovely selection Calvin, must have been very satisfying photographing them.

• olyagrove
    13 years ago

An impressive group of beautiful bloomers!

• jane__ny
    13 years ago

Wow, Calvin, I am so impressed. Great growing, I can't believe you got them to flower in the basement. The Aerangis takes my breath away.

Just fabulous!

Jane

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for stopping by everyone. I'm currently back home with the family for the break, so my fingers are crossed that my misting system/lighting time doesn't conk out during the next 2 weeks. Seriously stressful leaving everything in a rush after my last exam, but I think I got things setup properly in time.

• ntgerald
    13 years ago

How did you manage to transport all of them?

• carolinn_on
    13 years ago

Lovely, Calvin! The Pteroceras reminds me of Sedirea japonica. I hope everyone looked happy when you returned.

Carol

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carol - Dessication but no losses (reservoire ran dry, crappy misting setup), thank goodness. However, I will be spending 4 weeks in Northern Ontario this summer so I need to seriously get my automated system up and running properly soon!
    Nelson - I have a van and just packed em all in boxes...they're mostly miniatures!

• Charm
    13 years ago

Gorgeous orchids!~Charm

• ifraser25
    13 years ago

You are doing better than me! It is the rainy season here. You have probably seen reports of the floods on the news. That is LOW season for flowering....Exception: Stanhopeas. I have made a recent post.

• carolinn_on
    13 years ago

Calvin, let me know if you'll be coming our way this summer.

Carol