Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
more on coffee grounds

Posted by stan6 TN (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 0:07

I am still collecting UCG from Starbucks. The bag says use the grounds within 2-3 weeks. I had planned to use them next spring, some directly on my lawn and some in my compost heap. Does UCG lose its "potency" over several weeks or months?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: more on coffee grounds

They might lose a little N, but I think the bigger concern is that they might start to decompose anaerobically (and smell bad) or mold. If you don't dry them before storing them, they'll probably be pretty badly clumped, so they'll be harder to spread on the lawn.

o

I stored mine in a big plastic trash can with plastic lid. Just like BP suggests, they molded and got dry and hard/clumpy.

I don't think it much affected the potency. Organic matter is organic matter.

I quit using them because here in my semi-arid climate they made my soil water repellant. Not helpful. And, while they were free, the time and gas I spent running around to collect them probably cost as much as organic matter I could buy in bulk (especially when my time was factored in).

For those who can get them in one easy stop and/or enjoy investing the time and effort to gather them up little by little, and who live in wetter areas, they are one of the fine choices for adding organic matter. Also, those wanting to reduce waste going to dumps that doesn't have to can feel good about contributing in a small way to that.

Organic matter is good. But, coffee grounds are simply another organic matter source, not magic.

o

If they get infested with bugs then you might lose some strength from the coffee itself, but you will still have to bugs to fertilize with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here