Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mushroom Compost mixed with Top Soil

Posted by chrisd4421 Zone 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 13, 08 at 7:55

Hi all,
I have the ability to get (by the cu yd) mushroom compost either straight or mixed 1-1 with top soil.

I have two applications and need to know which would be better.

First is my new garden. I want to ammend the soil this year prior to planting with SMC and Peat.

Second is my lawn and reseeding this spring. I am atttempting to organically take care of my lawn for the first time and I want to spread the SMC lightly and seed this spring.

Question is why would I want it mxed with top soil? Would ne or the other work for both of my scenarios?

I am going to cross-post this post into the Soil Forum as well. Hope no one minds.

Thanks
Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mushroom Compost mixed with Top Soil

I would use it straight, not mixed.

o
RE: Mushroom Compost mixed with Top Soil

I agree, I would get it straight and then add some other organic matter such as a form of compost tea or some meals. From what I understand mushroom compost is pretty sterile and doesn't have much microbial life in it. Mix some other good stuff in it and you should be good to go. Even another type of compost with it would be good. Just make sure that it is all a finished product where it is a nice dark color and has no smell left.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here