Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iowa50126

Record Grain Prices vs. Organic Lawn Care

iowa50126
16 years ago

I live in the part of the US that lives or dies by the price of corn and soybeans on the CBOT. (Chicago Board of Trade) You'll hear the grain markets in every news cast here in Iowa.

This week...Corn is near $5 a bushel and Soybeans are near $13 a bushel; all record high prices in the past year. Even the DDG's (Dry Distillers Grains) my local ethanol plant sells have gone up to $180 per ton from $140 per ton since last October.

While I suppose some will want to debate the "politics" of these market price increases...I want to get some idea of how these increases will affect those that use grains on their lawns.

These prices in the futures market will, no doubt, increase the in-put cost for grains used by organic lawn care devotees.

It's always been my opinion that the organic method costs a homeowner more money each season than the synthetic method. But, the higher cost vs results on the turf and the environment were worth it.

While synthetic fertilizers costs may increase in 2008 due to higher petroleum prices, it would seem grain price increases will be higher. And the spread between organic and synthetic will widen.

Will you pay the high price to continue the organic method?

Will you use as much product on you organic lawn in 2008 or will you cut back to hold the cost down?

Will you switch back to synthetics in 2008?

Comments (3)

• deerslayer
    16 years ago

You don't need to use feed grains to have an organic lawn.

First of all, don't use pesticides.

Secondly, use only organic herbicides (for example, vinegar or CGM) or don't use any at all. Rely on a thick lawn and mechanical weed removal (for example, Weed Hound) to eliminate weeds.

Thirdly, use only organic fertilizers. Feed grains are one option but other options include poultry litter, fish meals, Milorganite, etc..

Not many people in the U.S. are concerned about our image abroad but sometimes I wonder what people in underdeveloped countries would think if they knew that we spread corn, soybeans, etc. on our lawns to make them green. When it's a struggle to feed one's family, I doubt that they would have a favorable opinion of us.

-Deerslayer

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

Well, where I am, grains are pretty cheap and effective. All I really have to do is put down soybean meal at the rate of 15-20lbs per 1000 sqft every 3 months. I pay $8.90 for 50lbs bag. I need 2 bags every 3 months. So that comes out to be $71.20 for the year. It's probably best all around. It is fungal food which we badly need to grow fungi population in the soil. They are probably far more sensitive to changes than bacterial. Anyway, I don't see any other options for that price.

Maybe it seems more expensive but I water a lot less, a lot less weed, and it goes on so which saved me $$$. You can't say the same thing if you had been using synthetic fertilizer.

The biggest problem with urea fertilizer is that they produce excessive nitrate which weeds thrives on. Yet there are some guys on this forum recommending them for fall application.... and they complain about weed problems. Whatever.

• dchall_san_antonio
    16 years ago

Record grain prices? Have you looked over at the natural gas boards?

If you are comparing prices, you have to compare all the prices. What is happening to the cost of synthetic fertilizers? Urea is made from natural gas. While corn has doubled in price, natural gas has quadrupled. If anything I would be looking for people to move from the expensive chemical programs to the less expensive organic. When I first learned about doing organics with grains, I learned that organic does not have to be expensive. The costly mistake is to use compost. Compost costs me $40 per cubic yard plus another $40 for delivery. That is $80 per 1,000 square feet. I can apply corn meal for more like $2.00 per 1,000 square feet. If you do not use compost, simply buying grains is cost comparable to synthetic chemicals. If you rely on Starbucks for fertilizer, then your organic program is free. When you add in the fact that you can fertilize regularly with corn meal and not have to buy separate chemical fungicides, then organic can be pretty inexpensive.

I was in a feed store in California last week to check the prices. Corn meal was $8.50 for 50 pounds. I paid $6.50 for my last bag here in San Antonio. Given that prices for everything are higher in CA, I don't see a substantial price increase.

Sponsored