Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coffee Grounds in Winter

Posted by mpcart (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 11, 12 at 15:02

Is there any benefit to spreading used coffee grounds on the lawn in winter or should I save them and spread them when the lawn is no longer dormant?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coffee Grounds in Winter

I would assume there wouldn't be any negative in using it now in the winter, unless you are on a slope where it could wash away. Stockpiling it all will enable it to go moldy.

I collected UCG from starbucks all winter a few years back and just spread them on the lawn... even spreading them on the snow some days (makes it melt faster). It was a decent amount by the end, but it disappeared quickly in the spring. I was able to get about enough to fill two 5-gallon buckets each week.

o

That depends on where you are. In northern areas where the soil temperatures drop below 32 degrees F spreading organic material like coffee grounds will have little winter benefit because the Soil Food Web is hibernating, inactive, not doing anything. Down south, if soil tempsratures are above the mid 40's the Soil Food Web could be active enough to work on things like coffee grounds and digest them.
Later, after soils warm enough for the SFW to function, any organic matter spread during the winter will be digested and by the now active bactgeria, fungi, and etc. in the soil.

o

"Later, after soils warm enough for the SFW to function, any organic matter spread during the winter will be digested and by the now active bactgeria, fungi, and etc. in the soil. "

That's what I was looking for. I didn't know if, when the weather warms, the grounds spread during the winter would provide a benefit or if they would somehow "disappear" during the winter. I'm located in IL, zone 6a.

Thanks.

o

Would I gain anything by spraying the left over coffee we have every morning on my yard? It just goes down the drain.....Since I'm saving the grounds.......seems logical.

o

magoo1, the benefit from coffee grounds comes from the protein in the coffee beans. There is no protein in the coffee beverage, so the value would be minimal.

o

Magoo, from what I understand, coffee itself is highly acidic, whereas coffee grounds are closer to neutral.

The acid in the coffee is probably not good for your lawn.

o

You could always just pour it on the compost pile if you don't want to waste a drop down the drain.

o

There have been a large number of people that have reported seeing better plant growth when they have used the coffee, or tea, they did not finish drinking to water the potted house plants they had. Unless you will be pouring out hundreds of gallons of coffee what you pour on your yard, or garden, will have such negligable affect that it will be neither beneficial or harmful. Even one full cup of coffee poured onto your yard would not significantly affect your soils pH enough to be concerned about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here