Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mpcart

Coffee Grounds in Winter

mpcart
12 years ago

Is there any benefit to spreading used coffee grounds on the lawn in winter or should I save them and spread them when the lawn is no longer dormant?

Thanks

Comments (8)

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

That depends on where you are. In northern areas where the soil temperatures drop below 32 degrees F spreading organic material like coffee grounds will have little winter benefit because the Soil Food Web is hibernating, inactive, not doing anything. Down south, if soil tempsratures are above the mid 40's the Soil Food Web could be active enough to work on things like coffee grounds and digest them.
    Later, after soils warm enough for the SFW to function, any organic matter spread during the winter will be digested and by the now active bactgeria, fungi, and etc. in the soil.

• mpcart
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"Later, after soils warm enough for the SFW to function, any organic matter spread during the winter will be digested and by the now active bactgeria, fungi, and etc. in the soil. "

That's what I was looking for. I didn't know if, when the weather warms, the grounds spread during the winter would provide a benefit or if they would somehow "disappear" during the winter. I'm located in IL, zone 6a.

Thanks.

• magoo1
    12 years ago

Would I gain anything by spraying the left over coffee we have every morning on my yard? It just goes down the drain.....Since I'm saving the grounds.......seems logical.

• dchall_san_antonio
    12 years ago

magoo1, the benefit from coffee grounds comes from the protein in the coffee beans. There is no protein in the coffee beverage, so the value would be minimal.

• ssmdgardener
    12 years ago

Magoo, from what I understand, coffee itself is highly acidic, whereas coffee grounds are closer to neutral.

The acid in the coffee is probably not good for your lawn.

• Nevermore44 - 6a
    12 years ago

You could always just pour it on the compost pile if you don't want to waste a drop down the drain.

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

There have been a large number of people that have reported seeing better plant growth when they have used the coffee, or tea, they did not finish drinking to water the potted house plants they had. Unless you will be pouring out hundreds of gallons of coffee what you pour on your yard, or garden, will have such negligable affect that it will be neither beneficial or harmful. Even one full cup of coffee poured onto your yard would not significantly affect your soils pH enough to be concerned about.

Sponsored