Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed Hound - somebody stop me!

Posted by joyfuljan z7GA (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 11, 07 at 18:11

I read about the Weed Hound, bought one today, and how do you stop using this thing? This is more addictive than a caulk gun!

OK. Now that my yard is full of holes, what do I do with them? This is a sodded yard and I don't know what type of grass it is. I'm trying to set an example for this Chem-lawned neighborhood.

Jan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed Hound - somebody stop me!

The way you stop using it is that as time goes on, you have fewer weeds.

The holes are fine. Now you don't have to aerate.

o

Joyful Jan,

Google st augustine grass and bermuda grass. Maybe you'll have your answer to what grass you have because they both require very different maintenance...

o

Thanks, Lou. Between the two, I'd say it is Bermuda as the blades are thin. Now. Will the grass just grow and fill in these holes, or do I need to do something?

o

Lead by example and you just might get a few Mr.& Mrs.Jones in the neighborhood.

o

Is your grass green right now? If so you don't have bermuda. Bermuda is brown right now. But if yours is brown, once it greens up in the spring, it will definitely fill in the holes. In fact if you don't stop it, it will fill in your flower beds and vegetables, too.

o

• Posted by mikie z9 St.Pete.FL (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 18, 07 at 19:04

How big are the holes ?
How much is a week hound ? Sounds easy ?

o

Weed hounds generally cost around $20 at stores like Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

The holes are about 1/2 inch across and an inch or so deep (plus the hole left by the rest of the root--it pulls more root out than the length of the tines that pull).

o

You can always fill in with some topsoil or sand. As far as when do you stop? I dunno. I ran out of weeds in my yard and started making sneaky visits to my neighbors just to take the edge off. It can become adicting.

o

I see a new potential thread here . . . Confessions of a Sneaky Weed Hounder! I will admit I have, eh, wandered over into my neighbors' yard when I see a little yellow flower begging to be put to rest! It's for the good of the neighborhood, of course.

I figure that when the time comes that the Bermuda grass will just fill in. Meanwhile 2 of my neighbors have bought one!

Restoring the 'hood, one yard at a time!

Jan

o

Them weedhounds are good money makers also. I listed 20 of them on Ebay and all 20 were bought up in one day. Sold everyone of them for $35.00 plus shipping and handling. Now I'm going to buy another 50 of them and list them on Ebay as well.

o

My weedhound broke. :-(

o

Joepyeweed, the Weed Hound has a lifetime guarantee. Call 800 MY-HOUND for a replacement.

-Deerslayer

o

After Using the Weed Hound, why not spread compost. The holes are a great way to get the organics deeper, the hole is no longer a trap for more dandylion seed, the lawn gets fertilized, and more microorganisms are placed into the soil to do all the wonderful things they do, including managing thatch.

I represented the Weed Hound over ten years ago while traveling across America. If the wonderful folks in Minnesota are listening to this chatter, I want to say (I mean sing) hello!

o

• Posted by nami 9b (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 29, 07 at 23:21

does the weedhound work on grassy weeds like nutsedge or crabgrasses?

o

If those have taproots, then it would work fine. If not, it wouldn't be much help.

I don't think either of them has a taproot, so a weed hound probably won't be much help.

o

I've got a little weedhound story:

I was working on my trucks transmission in my friend Jack's garage last Summer. Now, realize that Jack's lawn had enough prickly lettuce to fill a salad bar at the Golden Corral (maybe two Golden Corral's). My wife would come along with me on weekends just to hang out, but while I was under the truck she didn't have much to do but comment on the number of weeds in Jack's lawn. So she decided to bring along MY weedhound to help remedy the problem.

Well, to make it short when the transmission job was done we packed up and went home but somehow the weedhound didn't make it home. Every once in awhile Jack will comment on how well it works. Looks like I'll need to buy another one. I miss my weedhound.

Greenjeans

o

I just picked one up at Home Depot for $19.90, I love this thing. The weeds are a plenty in my Hood.

o

Just picked one up at HD myself. This thing is great. The buffalo grass in my front yard gets eaten up by weeds, but those bad boys have met their match now!!!

o

I found one at a garage sale today for $1.00. I was so excited. My daughter and the people around me were looking at me, but I was all smiles! I'd remembered reading about it here on GW and knew it was a find. LOL
Also got a pack of 3 Tomato Craters for $2.00.

o

Hello all.

I plucked a few pesky weeds from my lawn today with my Weed Hound.

Good day.

o

they DO work on crabgrass! just stomp on it like usual, then twist when pulling up. Viola! i like mine too! jenn

o

You guys must have stock in weed hound! I got mine a couple of nights ago and I'm not impressed. Was "fetching"
dandelion and only pulling up an inch or two of the root. Plus you have to really hit hard on the knob to get the weed out once it's pulled. Does save your back though.

o

No solution is perfect, but my method is to wait for a rain storm so the ground is soft. Stomp on the weedhound really hard then give it a quarter to half turn and then pull out the weed.

o

hey folks,

Is this the exact weedhound you guys are talking about?

Thanks.

o

That's the one I have.

o

It's because my friend has the one with the color black handle, alloy at the puller, then some parts with color orange. I couldn't remember what brand it is but I think he got it from Menards. My visual memory is telling me that the brand is either fischal, fischar, or fischer.

So yeah, I would like to know if both performs the same. This way, I'll know what to buy next time. Just in case they pop up. :)

o

A couple inches of the root should be plenty to kill the plant. Once the root crown, the thicker portion at the top of the root, is removed; the plant will have a very difficult time regrowing, if possible at all. If it does regrow, hound it again.

The hound tends to work better if the soil is moist. If you don't think you are getting long enough sections of roots, try it again after a rain or after watering.

As for the the handle being hard to pop, a little WD-40 or other lubricant should be spritzed on every once in awhile.

o

Jan - how would you feel about a trip to NJ with your weedhound? If you can't stop, we've got just the yard for you ;)

o

Clover flowering season is coming soon and my weedhound does little so far. Will clover flower from the main root making it easier to remove with the weedhound?

My 3 and 6 year old like to use it. Usually the eldest is using it and the younger is collecting the weed. I know instruct the family to leave any non seeded plugs on the lawn. The lawnmower and microherd do the rest.

o

I can't believe I've never heard of this thing. I've been out in the yard, digging weeds by hand with an old steak knife! It works, but it's murder on the knees and back. Gotta check out my local home center - tomorrow! Thanks for the tip.

o

"I've been out in the yard, digging weeds by hand with an old steak knife! It works, but it's murder on the knees and back."

I can still find a scar from a butcher knife I used that way over 30 years ago.

o

Yeah, the steak knife method is just too pain-inducing! I looked for the Weed Hound at Lowes but they don't carry it. I'll have to try Home Depot.

While I was out there digging today, I noticed the most wonderful sight - buttercups! They're everywhere. And violas, and pretty little white flowers and lavender flowers - I'm sure they're all weeds, but they look great in among the moss, and it's exactly the way I want my "lawn" to look. My plan is to preserve a small area of really nice turf, then let nature have her way with the rest. And it's happening! So pretty. Thanks for all the encouragement from this eco-friendly forum.

o

I bought mine at Walmart for around $17 around a month or so ago. That thing is worth its weight in gold. There was a bit of a learning curve for me - each weed requires a slightly different technique for the best results. My house is new construction and the ground is a heavy compacted clay. The builder elected to seed vs. sod. The weeds came up before the grass seedlings were very strong. I tried Weed-B-Gone but the results just aren't as immediately gratifying as yanking those suckers out of the ground with the Weed Hound! You're right that the entire tap root doesn't always come out. For this problem I come back and spot treat with Weed-B-Gone. This is quite easy to do because the Weed Hound leaves about a 1" diameter hole to squirt into! With the tap roots damaged and exposed the Weed-B-Gone easily gets in and kills the remaining tap root. Plus since I'm spot treating such a small localized area I use less weed killer and the new grass isn't affected.

o

angieh - I use the WeedHound after it has rained and the tap roots come right up. Not that I can always be that patient, though!

o

joyfuljan: I think a lot of the trouble getting the roots up is the soil - it's a VERY heavy clay and yes, while wet, they come up easier but the clay is SO sticky its hard to get the root completely out. In the areas where there wasn't so much construction equipment while they were building and the ground is softer the Weed Hound works perfectly.

o

I just bought a Weed Hound and thought it would be easy and definitely easier on my back. But I can't seem to figure out the technique. I also just bought a 14' tree pruner and I am having no problem with that, so where am I going wrong with the Weed Hound? I pull, as it says, but nothing happens. I really don't want to return it if it is as fun and easy as you make it sound.

o

Janis--I get the best results if I center it on the weed, step down, give the handle a turn, then pull up by the black plastic thing on top. If I pull by the metal part, it often releases the weed.

o

Thank you! It was so simple! I thought the "handle" was the piece with the black knob. I also found a video online. Duh, I was "pulling" on the plunger knob (which is only to be used to release the weed after it is pulled out)! I feel stupid, but loving it now! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer! I was making a simple thing hard. Now I wish I had invented this little wonder! :)

o

Just yesterday I could not get the chips to fall from the snack machine. Had to ask for help from someone who was smarter than the machine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here