Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
winterwolfes

Late Summer Lawn Weed Problem

winterwolfes
17 years ago

I live in southern ocean county in NJ. Zone 7a.

I have a problem that arises every year in late July and early August. In the spring and early summer my lawn is thick and green with very few weeds. Then by late summer (late July early august) it takes an ugly turn. It becomes infested with a low growing weed the sends out these runners that just overpower my entire lawn. I don't have this problem in my backyard but my lawn in the front is destroyed. This happens every year. I used Scotts 4 step program every year and it still happens. I have sprayed that lawn week killer stuff so many times and the weeds yellow but more just keep coming. I think it is chickweed or something similar?

Before I bought the house 3 years ago, the owner had a service that came out regularly and sprayed the lawn with chemicals. There was no way I was going to do that, but I wonder if that some how weekend the lawn by having it sprayed constantly.

Anyone know what I can do? Last year I switched to using an organic pre-emergent with corn gluten. But still in mid to late summer my lawn is done. Its like these things just pop up outta nowhere late summer.

I am at my wits end. I spend soooo much time gardening and landscaping and every year its seems like my lawn is going to be great and every year this disappointment happens. Please help!

Comments (4)

• bpgreen
    17 years ago

How high do you mow your grass, and how often do you water?

If you have a thick green lawn with few weeds in the spring and early summer, cultural practices could go a long way toward keeping the seeds at bay.

Seeds need frequent water to germinate, and the weeds need sunlight to grow.

If you mow your lawn at the highest setting on your lawn mower and only water once a week, the seeds won't have much of a chance to compete. If you keep your lawn short and water frequently, the weeds have nearly perfect conditions to thrive.

Can you give any more details on what the weeds look like? What kind of leaves do they have? Do they have any flowers? If so, what do they look like? Do you have any pictures, by any chance?

• turf_toes
    17 years ago

winterwolfes,

It would help if you could posibly post a photo of the weed... (I know that may be difficult now as it is February).

I know it seems crazy, but my parents live in South Jersey along the Delaware Bay and they have a similar problem. Their issue it seems, surprisingly, is with Bermuda Grass.

• winterwolfes
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I always keep my mower at the highest setting and I water only once a week, if the grass needs it. I am pretty good about that kind of stuff.

I'll take a look to see if I can spot any of this out there now. Though I may also have a picture of it from last year. I will check when I get home - at work now. It doesn't rear its ugly head until around august and when it does it just takes over. It comes up in the same places every year.

Basically it grows low to the ground and spreads out runners. There are no flowers on it. Each arm or leg or whatever you want to call it has little oval shaped green leaves that shoot out on from both sides up the whole arm. The arms or legs themselves are almost a reddish color sometimes. It grows up as a little clump and then spreads. When I pull it up the legs are sort of rooted down sometimes like runners.

The thing is that this takes over high areas of my lawn, but when they die back in the winter, there don't seem to be bare spots from them because my lawn is pretty thick and like I said this weed is fairly low growing. Purslane maybe?

I'll check for pictures tonight. Its so discouraging to work so hard all year and then by august to have the lawn just taken over in the front yard.

• rdak
    17 years ago

The only thing organic I've found useful for broadleaf weeds over time is to mow maple leaves into the lawn and garden every year. Something in maple leaves act like an herbicide against broadleaf weeds.

I'm surprised this fact hasn't been more publicized over the years. It's been known for a long time.

Sponsored