Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood Ashes

Posted by skoot_cat Clearwater, FL. (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 27, 08 at 12:00

Do any of you use wood ashes on your lawn or garden?

The reason I ask is because a Ph test last year indicated that my back yard is slightly acidic (5.8 I think). From what I've read, wood ash can be used to raise soil ph. (plus add some potassium) I'm considering apply some to my lawn and would like to get your opinions before I do. I have a large oak tree that drops lots of leafs, sticks and small branches and I have collect a large pile now.

Should I use them on the lawn? If so how much?

Any other thoughts or concerns?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wood Ashes

I use wood ash in both my vegetable garden and lawn. I got this off of a website. Hope this answers your question.

Ash is composed of many major and minor elements needed by the tree for plant growth. Since most of these elements are extracted from the soil and atmosphere during the tree's growth cycle, they are elements that are common in our environment and are also essential elements in the production of crops and forages. Calcium is the most abundant element in wood ash and gives the ash properties that are similar to agricultural lime. Ash is also a good source of potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, and aluminum. In terms of commercial fertilizer, average wood ash would probably be about 0-1-3 (N-P-K). In addition to these macronutrients, wood ash is also a good source of many micronutrients that are needed in trace amounts for adequate plant growth. Wood ash contains few elements that pose environmental problems. Heavy metal concentrations are typically low and not in a highly extractable or available form.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here