Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Compost tea recipe for soil drench

Posted by nc_razorback 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 25, 07 at 14:43

Howdy

Just made my first batch of compost tea (5-gallon brew) for a soil drench for my NC red clay. The tea brewed up fine and dandy, but as an undiluted soil drench it only covered a fraction of my yard (1/2 acre). So now I'm ready to increase production to 15 gallons of brew, but I wanna make sure my recipe will scale properly.

Here's the tea recipe:
a) "wiggle worm" worm castings - 1 lb.
b) Fish hydrolysate - 1/2oz. per gallon
c) Humate concentrate - 1/2oz per gallon

Obviously, I know how to scale parts b) and c), but do I need 3 times the amount of worm castings to go from a 5-gallon brew to a 15-gallon brew?

BTW, many thanks to David Hall for his web site that hosts the Deuley's Little Texas Tea Brewer instructions. Great site and great brewer instructions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Compost tea recipe for soil drench

Awwww, garsh!

Yes it scales the same. It's as if you made three 5-gallon pots. And I think your recipe sounds fantastic! Do you have a source of pond water? I need to update that website if only to say that it's had its last update.

I heard Bruce Deuley on the radio this morning. He's Mister Natural. Now he's hawking natural (unpasteurized and homogenized milk. You can't buy that kind of milk in Texas unless you belong to a special club where you swear not to sue the seller if you get sick. He does have a point about relative hazards. You can buy dursban but you can't buy natural milk. Of course you're not eating dursban.

o
RE: Compost tea recipe for soil drench

Not lucky enough to have any pond water around. I've got chlorinated water that I've got to run the air stones in to de-chlorinate.

Thanks for the quick follow-up David. It's full steam ahead on my 15-gal brewing now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here