Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garett_gw

another preemergent question

garett
16 years ago

What are the effects of using a preemergen like Halts on an organic lawn? This will be the 2nd year of organic for me. Last year was the first year of my lawn and I started of with 1 dose of Scotts Turfbuilder before I found this forum. Since then all I have applied was soybean meal.

The reason I am thinking of using Halts, was because last season we had a ton of weeds come in before my bermuda did. It was so bad that it was actually preventing my bermuda from growing. We dug all the weeds out by hand until the grass finally started coming in, and then regular mowing and infrequent watering took care of it during the growing season.

Basically I just want to avoid all those weeds in the early spring. That was a LOT of work.

Comments (5)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

so you let weed grow? I'd just mow them regularly and they will go away.

• skoot_cat
    16 years ago

What are the effects of using a preemergen like Halts on an organic lawn?

I think you answered your own question. (Halts/Organic) Those 2 words don't even belong in the same sentence.

Research at Cornell University on pesticides says Pendimethalin (the main ingredient in Halts) "has made it on to two federal regulatory lists as a suspected carcinogen and a suspected gastrointestinal or liver toxicant. The immediate toxicity to fish and crustaceans is ranked as high."

Pendimethalin "is ranked more hazardous than most chemicals in two out of four ranking systems, and is ranked as ONE OF THE MOST HAZARDOUS COMPOUNDS (in the worst ten percent) to ecosystems and health."

The first and best method of weed control begins with proper management practices that encourage a dense, thriving turf. Healthy turf shades the soil so sunlight can't reach weed seeds that are ready to germinate. A thick turf also minimizes the physical space available for weeds to become established.

Your Bermuda lawn should easily be able to choke out most if not all weeds.

How high do you mow your Bermuda?
    How often do you irrigate?

• garett
    Original Author
    16 years ago

i think you guys are misunderstanding me. last year the weeds came in a few weeks before my bermuda did. of course, last year may have been strange because we had a lot more rain than usual here in oklahoma. i guess i could mow my weeds until my lawn comes out of dormancy??

i keep the lawn at a height of about 1 inch, even mowing in the rain last year many times. i think i manually watered about 3 times last year because the rest of the time we would get rain, but i try to water once every 2 weeks.

but like i said in my previous post, the problem was there were so many weeds coming up that the grass was having a hard time growing. and that was with me pulling them. once i got past that i rarely saw a weed for the entire summer. in fact i think i had more corn stalks try to come up than weeds because some kernals were in my soybean meal :)

skoot i get your point about the halts. i guess i wont use it.

since the sod was new last year, a lot of the weeds came up through the "cracks" between the sod. basically i had a new construction home and they laid the sod down in the fall so it never got to root and remained dormant until spring when it was assaulted by a huge weed festival. maybe it will not be as bad this year?

• skoot_cat
    16 years ago

in fact i think i had more corn stalks try to come up than weeds because some kernals were in my soybean meal

If you mow them down to your current cutting height of 1" they should not come back.

since the sod was new last year, a lot of the weeds came up through the "cracks" between the sod.

Your probably 99% correct about that. If they come up again this year just mow them down and let your Bermuda take care of the rest.

At very minimum you should be feeding Bermuda every other month.

Hopefully okcdan will chime in. Read his member page below

Here is a link that might be useful: Okcdan's Bermuda

• tmelrose
    16 years ago

Garrett, I'm also here in OK and this is my second year of organics with a Bermuda lawn. I've learned a lot, the hard way. I inherited a mess of a lawn. Last spring my lawn was basically purple we had so many henbit weeds. Luckily, this year we don't seem to have as many henbits and I was smart enough to catch them early by mowing and bagging them up to stop the seeds for next year. From reading this forum you just need to keep up conditioning your soil and practicing good mowing/watering techniques and each season your grass will be healthier and less weeds. I had some horrible spots last year that seemed dead with the exception of pure weeds and I spread a little bit of compost in that area and in a few months you'd never known it was such a trouble area. I'm also looking forward to having a better lawn this year too. Pulling weeds is hard work! I've bought my ortho sprayer and am going to try the molasses like another member suggested with fighting weeds.

Sponsored