Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
newbie to SBM.......oops

Posted by magoo1 7 (brian.jennings@leggett.com) on
Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 16:30

I've been following this forum now for a couple of years and I'm getting ready for another "organic" Spring. The lawn is looking a lot better now thanks to you folks here. I have a word of caution to all newbies out there that are going to spread SBM for the first time. I tend to obsess over things and maybe over-do it when I'm in the yard....but....I was able to put together a few extra dollars so I could use SBM...."the good stuff" on my lawn. Well....I think I over-did it a little.....not sure how big my yard is....it's a large corner lot in a sub-division, but I used about 200 lbs......honest to God it smelled like rotting flesh out there for weeks (soy IS a meat substitute!). As hard as I tried even I couldn't downplay the smell. So, if you're going to do SBM.....go at it easy. It worked GREAT though....but she made me promise not to buy it again. Guess it's cottonseed meal, now......

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: newbie to SBM.......oops

LOL! Thanks for sharing. It has been said that you need to ease into SBM. You should start at maybe 10 pounds per 1,000 and move up in a month to 15. The more you use the more able your soil is to gobble it up before it starts to become whiffy.

o

Keep in mind that Soy Beans are one of the most Genetically Engineered plants there are and we have no idea what those genes in those plants will do in our environment because there has been no research done to find out.
Cotton is one of the most heavily pesticided crops grown and it is known that residues from those pesticides remain in the meal.
Many of us organic gardeners/farmers will not use either ine for those reasons.

o

Thanks, guys......speaking of genes, my yard smelled like someone got terrified and left something in their jeans....WHEW! I guess CSM is my next choice for feed....then maybe alfalfa meal/pellets? Thoughts??

o

Whatever is cheap from your list there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here