Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iowa50126

What are U Paying for Soybean Meal?

iowa50126
16 years ago

The market for soybeans and soybean meal on the Chicago Board of Trade continues to break all time records for high prices.

Next fall's crop (Sept 2008) is selling at over $14 dollars per bushel and it's not even planted yet.

Have you seen a price increase where you buy your organic fertilizer?

Comments (46)

• billhill
    16 years ago

Summer of 2005, Soybean meal $5.50 per 50 # in bulk. 2006 it was 6.75. In 2007 7.00 Based on future prices, possibly $10.00 this summer. Another reason why I am increasing my nitrogen enriched compost production.
    Bill Hill

• skoot_cat
    16 years ago

Clearwater, FL
    I just bought a 50lb bag of SBM on Friday Feb. 22, 2008 for 16.95.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

Last year it was $8.20. Now it's $11.50 that I paid for last week. That's a big jump. I'm afraid to see how much more it would be in the next two years. I may have to look for alternative fertilizer if that happens or reduce to 3x a year from 4x a year. The soil should be much improved by with better nitrogen cycling so I might be able to go with less fertilizer.

• sandradee
    16 years ago

North Texas...2/15/08, $11.95/50# bag. I was just glad to find it locally and in stock.

• rosesr4me
    16 years ago

Clearwater Florida

Bought 50# bag of SBM 2/22 for 17.45.

(Skootcat - did you buy yours at Amber Glen on Friday? I think I must have missed you by a few minutes. The saleswoman asked me what I needed it for because *someone* had just been in wanting it too for their yard. Very nice folks)

• skoot_cat
    16 years ago

Yes I did, what a small world. I also bought 2 bags of alfalfa pellets which I think were $13.00 each.

They have the best prices around, plus have everything in stock. I was also glad to find out they have Molasses in bulk. $3.00 per Gallon, You have to bring your own jug.

Do you know of anyone else in the area that buys grains? If so, we could combine our order and see if Amber Glen will give a us discount. Just a thought!

Email me (It' on my members page) and let me know.

• okcdan
    16 years ago

In my neck of the woods, alfalfa pellets are $7.95 for a 50lb bag & soybean meal is $13.50 for a 50lb bag -- (last fall I paid $10.70 per 50lb bag of soybean meal)

Dan

• mrl05
    16 years ago

I just bought 3 bags of soybean meal this morning and the price has increased 25% over last year. Today I paid $12.50 per bag. Last years price was $10.00

• skoot_cat
    16 years ago

billhill,

What is Nitrogen Enriched Compost?

How do you make it?

• fescue_planter
    16 years ago

Last year 50-lb bag of soybean meal was $11.49. Called last week just to see what prices were and the same bag was $16.50. The lady made the comment that it was because everyone was planting corn instead. I hope this trend doesn't continue and we figure out ethanol is an eventual dead-end.

• billhill
    16 years ago

Good question Scoot. I enrich my compost bins daily with natural liquid fertilizer and use quite a bit of horse manure in making it. My belief is that the finished C/N should be quite low as compared to just using leaves, clippings and garbage. Low C/N means high nitrogen, thus I refer to it as "nitrogen enriched" Does my theory make since to anyone besides me ? Bill Hill

• jayt63
    16 years ago

I just ordered some soy bean meal and alfalfa pellets from the local Agway store. The alfalfa pellets were $12.70 for a 50 lb bag and the soy bean meal was $13.75. This is a significant increase from last year, but since all the farmers are planting corn for ethanol production, I guess it should not be surprising.

• garett
    16 years ago

even with the price of SBM increasing, wouldn't you guys say that it's still cheaper than using Scott's?

• earthworm73
    16 years ago

I live in the NW corner of WA and the other day I paid about $15 and some change for a 50lb bag.

• kelleynelson
    16 years ago

I'm paying $12.99 per 50lb bag this year. I think that $1 more per bag than last year's price - I'm thanking my lucky stars!

• soccer_dad
    16 years ago

...and if you were thinking of subing Milorganite, I just did a price check at my local HD and it was over $20/bag. Over a 100% price increase from last fall.

• rutgers1
    16 years ago

I have never seen Milorganite that high. I would check back with them again soon. My guess is that the price will go way down.

• kelleynelson
    16 years ago

I think it was $9.99 per bag last year. When I looked it up online it's showing $10.97 per 36lb bag at my local HD. (Is that less per bag than last year?)

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

I have never seen Milorganite that high.

Me, neither. I just paid $8.50 a bag for it at my local Home Depot.

• m1shmosh
    16 years ago

I hope Milorganite is not $20 per bag!!! In this age of escalating grain prices, Milorganite has been one of the most reasonably priced organic products. Did they go to a new 36lb bag--I thought it was 40lbs before?

• kelleynelson
    16 years ago

Unfortunately it looks like the bag shrunk this year :( Still labeled to cover 2500 square feet.

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

I just bought seven fifty pound bags; $13.25 including tax. That's the majority of what I need this year, fortunately.

Last year it was $9.80 for the same size bag, an increase in 1 year of 35.2%

No comment. Except that an increase like that is insane.

• decklap
    16 years ago

I got SBM for $13.25/50#.

Milorganite for over $20!!!! That's robbery. I doubt the cost of poo in Milwaukee has increased at all over last year. Either way its cheaper by me.
    Less than $10.

• dre819
    16 years ago

Just called the only place in Cincinnati that I knew had in stock last year and the price is $19.00 for a 50lb. bag.

• sandradee
    16 years ago

Good news...I just bought more SBM for another feeding and the price went down. Not by much, but it went from $11.95/50# bag in mid-February to $11.75 yesterday. That savings plus a couple of bucks might just buy me a coffee!!!

• razorbird
    16 years ago

Paid $12.50/50# this week.

Seems like it was around 10 bucks last summer.

• fescue_planter
    16 years ago

Well it looks like the supply for soybeans could come back a little some time in the future--

Here is a link that might be useful: Corn planting switched to Soybeans

• rosarama
    16 years ago

Yesterday, I paid $19 for SBM at a local feed store in Apopka, Fl. They claimed it was the onlyone in stokc. Milorganite is under $8 at the local HD

• jayt63
    16 years ago

Just a comment on the price of Milorganite. I called our local Agway store and they wanted $12.97 for a 36 lb bag. I checked online at Home Depot and Lowes. They both want $10.97 for 36 lb bag. I stopped in at the local Home Depot. They had it for $9.37 for 40 lbs bags. Since the size the year seems to the 36 lbs, this was probably left over from last year. I quickly grabbed up three bags. :-)

• rdak
    16 years ago

$13.50/50lbs

• iahawkz4
    16 years ago

$12.50 per 50# bag of soybean meal and $7.50 per 50# bag of corn meal today at a local feed store.

• fescue_planter
    16 years ago

Good news for me as I found a place a little more rural than my other supplier that sells soybean meal for only $11.50! I think my first app will be in the coming weeks and I'll do a 50/50 split of soybean meal and cracked corn.

• grassman84
    16 years ago

$18.99/50lb (last Aug. was $14.99). And they told me, since they don't stock it, the price is not garaunteed. You pay whatever it is when it gets in (not the price when you place the order).

• kmnhiramga
    16 years ago

YOU GUYS ARE LUCKY, I CAN'T EVEN GET SBM HERE IN THE ATLANTA AREA. EVEN THOSE HIGH PRICES ARE MUCH LESS THAN ANYTHING I'VE BEEN ABLE TO FIND FOR AN ORGANIC LAWN PROGRAM.

• mrl05
    16 years ago

Just bought 3 more bags today at $14.00 per bag. So here's the price progression in MD since 2006.

Fall 2006 - $10.00
    All of 2007 - $10.00
    March 1, 2008 - $12.50
    April 12, 2008 - $14.00

• jlaak5
    16 years ago

I am able to purchase SBM here @ .20/lb.

• greatlakesmower
    16 years ago

Two days ago, I paid $9.50 / 50 lb bag.
    Up from $7.50 / 50 lb bag from last year.

This is Southeast Michigan. Location must have much to do with it.

• sandygardener
    16 years ago

greatlakesmower

Where did you buy your Soybean Meal. I am also in SE Michigan.

• greatlakesmower
    16 years ago

Sandy
    Dexter Mills
    734-426-4621

• kimberlykub
    16 years ago

$13.25/50 lbs. Western NY feed store. I don't recall last year's price anymore.

• rcnaylor
    16 years ago

15.30 yesterday at a local farm and ranch supply. 50 lbs.

• msfixit
    16 years ago

Hi,

Paid 11.00 last fall. Just paid 17.00 this week.

• mannyl36
    16 years ago

I paid $15 for it last year and it is up to $21 this year at a local feed store in CT.

• caesar772
    16 years ago

$11 last year, just paid $15 for 50lb bag at a local grain store. I'm sure it will get higher.

• rhaine86
    16 years ago

Just called the local store for a price and they said $19.99/50lb bag.

I'm in East. Washington

• fred9x
    16 years ago

Can anyone recommend a place to buy SBM in the Hartford area or Western MA?

Thank you,

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting