Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help

Posted by xdodgemanx MI (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 29, 08 at 19:41

Last Year, I used CGM and Ringer Lawn Restore.KBG I was wondering if I should try SBM this year in place of one of the other two. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would really love to get my lawn looking great this year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help

Both are very good products and using them exclusively should work well for you. That being said, many organic lawn enthusiasts diversify their applications for a more balanced program. CGM is a higher nitrogen fertilizer and is said to have pre-emergent weed control properties if used repeatedly. I dont use it as it is very expensive. Corn meal or cracked corn is low nitrogen but encourages beneficial fungus to fight fungal disease. My first Spring application will be cracked corn (cheap and more readily available than corn meal in my area) Soybean meal is the workhorse of my organic program, cheap and effective. Three or four applications from May through November. Alfalfa pellets (rabbit food) is said to have growth stimulating properties and keeps the lawn beautifully green. Milorganite has 4 percent Iron and many like to throw that into the mix once a year. I quit using it preferring to stick with the grains. I suggest that you checkout the FAQs over on the Gardenweb Lawn forum and read the organic lawn care FAQ linked below. Welcome to the Gardenweb forums. Continue reading and contributing here and good luck with your goal of having a great looking Michigan lawn this year Bill Hill

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic lawn care FAQ

o
RE: Help

It has always seemed to me changing the organic source was giving the microherd a more balanced diet.

I usually start out with alfalfa meal in the spring, then use soybean meal and cottonseed meal for later feedings. Horticultural cornmeal or cracked corn is also good.

If I had to just pick one, it would probably be cottonseed meal.

Whether the soil organisms really prefer a change in diet, I haven't a clue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here