Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shadow821

Anyone use organic insect control for the lawn?

shadow821
17 years ago

I have started my spring organic research. I got turned on to a site called safelawns.org from an article in parenting magazine (it's my wife's I swear!). She thought I would be interested since I started an organic program (SBM) last year.

In going through the site and others, I happened upon two sites that peaked my interest for organic solutions to insects.

They both offer many organic solutions for not only lawns but almost every other aspect of your life as well. I am not a shill, I just want to see if anyone has used any of these products as I am thinking of giving them a try.

biconet.com is one site and the other is Greenlight / Cedarcide. Cedarcide interested me the most as they also offer personal bug sprays that are all natural.

Curious to hear if anyone has used any of the products.

Thanks,

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Cedarcide

Comments (5)

• dchall_san_antonio
    17 years ago

I like this site for beneficial nematodes. Now is the time to apply for South Texas. In fact with spring hitting us early, two weeks ago was the time to apply.

• itsafact
    17 years ago

Spinosad
    Conserve Fire Ant Bait (Dow Agrosciences, LLC) A
    Conserve Professional Fire Ant Bait (Dow Agrosciences, LLC) A
    Entrust (Dow Agrosciences, LLC) A
    GF-120 NF Naturalyte Fruit Fly Bait (Dow Agrosciences, LLC) A
    Green Light® Lawn & Garden Spray Spinosad® (Green Light Company) A
    Green Light® Fire Ant Control With Conserve® (Green Light Company) A
    Justice Fire Ant Bait (Dow Agrosciences, LLC) A
    Monterey Garden Insect Spray (Lawn and Garden Products, Inc.) A
    Safer® Brand Fire Ant Bait Ready to Use (Woodstream Corporation) A
    Spinosad 0.5% SC (Dow Agrosciences, LLC)
    to name a few...

• terryb
    17 years ago

itsafact? All these are listed organic pesticides? Spinosad
    Conserve Fire Ant Bait (Dow Agrosciences, LLC) A
    Conserve Professional Fire Ant Bait (Dow Agrosciences, LLC) A
    Entrust (Dow Agrosciences, LLC) A
    GF-120 NF Naturalyte Fruit Fly Bait (Dow Agrosciences, LLC) A
    Green Light® Lawn & Garden Spray Spinosad® (Green Light Company) A
    Green Light® Fire Ant Control With Conserve® (Green Light Company) A
    Justice Fire Ant Bait (Dow Agrosciences, LLC) A
    Monterey Garden Insect Spray (Lawn and Garden Products, Inc.) A
    Safer® Brand Fire Ant Bait Ready to Use (Woodstream Corporation) A
    Spinosad 0.5% SC (Dow Agrosciences, LLC)
    to name a few...

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

terryb, Spinosad has been recognized by the USDA's National Organic Program as a certifiable organic product. Spinosad is the active ingredient used in all of the above products mentioned by itsafact.

However, if one is working or growing under an Organic license, then all of the inert ingredients have to be looked at, on a product-by-product basis. (Some inerts aren't accepted by the NOP.) However, for generic purposes, one can think of all Spinosad products as 'organic'.

• deerslayer
    17 years ago

"Spinosad has been recognized by the USDA's National Organic Program as a certifiable organic product."

The NOP lists substances that may be used in the production of agricultural products that will be labeled "Organic". It doesn't certify that substances used in the production of these products are organic.

For example, the substance may be a synthetic that is on the NOP's allowable synthetics list. Or, the substance may be a naturally occurring "Inorganic" substance, such as sodium nitrate.

Basically, the NOP defines the use of the term "Organic" on agricultural product labels. Substances used in the production of these products are classified as either nonsynthetic or synthetic by the NOP...not organic and inorganic.

-Deerslayer

Sponsored