Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

how does your lawn look like now?

v1rt
16 years ago

Hey guys,

I've been away for almost 7 months now. I'm interested to see lawns from folks who get snow and bad winter like here in Chicago. Just wondering why my lawn has some green grass but 95% are all dead(looks like hay :p ). I'll take a pic tomorrow.

I would like to get all green even during winter. :p So what could that green grass that I am seeing then, KBG?

I labeled a group of 3 KBG last year called Magnificent 3. However, I don't recall those 3 anymore. I have to dig my notes.

Comments (5)

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

Gag. Mine's still down for the count, but beginning to wake up a bit here and there.

Perennial ryegrass does well during the winter, but most others will go down. Even that will go down for the season if it gets cold enough--and Chicago almost always gets cold enough.

The Mag 3 is usually Midnight II, Moonlight, and Bedazzled.

• rcnaylor
    16 years ago

:Even that will go down for the season if it gets cold enough--and Chicago almost always gets cold enough."

Ha, I bet that is right. Brrr.

• billhill
    16 years ago

Welcome back V1rtu0s1ty. My Michigan KBG is looking rather brown and packed down after considerable snow accumulation. I am sure it will green up superbly in a few weeks. My neighborÂs unimproved Rye/fescue/KBG will probably green up and need cutting a week or two before mine but by May 15 my lawn will be the "best on the block" and remain so for the rest of the season. I am sure you will have similar results with yours considering the effort you put in last summer. I donÂt think you can get an elite KBG to stay green ALL winter, but a few weeks of dull dormancy in the spring is worth the wait for the beauty of a full KBG lawn the rest of the year. font color=green> Bill Hill

• iowa50126
    16 years ago

Like the fat man who has not seen his toes in a decade...I have not seen my ice/snow covered lawn since 2 Dec 2007.

I still have 8 inches of snow on my yard!

Even though it's been sunny here...it's been about 15 degrees below normal this March. All I get by looking out the window at my lawn is ... snow blindness. (Sigh)

• rlembke
    16 years ago

Hey V-Man -

Just like our lawns.....the fellas we saw so often last fall are starting to show their faces again!

Very sad looking right now here as well. We have had very little snowfall this winter so I've been able to keep an eye on it all winter. It's amazing how there is still quite a bit of green in my Bedazzled/Moonlight/Blue Velvet mix compared to the neighbors. All the areas that were thin at the end of last fall are still rather bare. I'm hoping to avoid putting down any N this spring to let her come awake nice and slow on her own, letting those roots do their thing instead of promoting top growth instead.

Get those spreaders greased up and those blades sharpened!

Rob

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA