Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Trying to use organic care, think I made a mistake..help?

Hi,

I attempted last year to spread a very thin layer of composted cow manure on our lawn in the fall. I had to hire someone to do it and although I went out to suggest that it was a little heavy a couple of times, once it was finished, I thought it might be just a little too much.

Well, all the snow finally melted and the lawn is appearing patchy at the moment. I am getting a sinking feeling that too much was laid down and that I am going to see bare spots when it starts growing. It is not growing at all yet, since the past few days is the first time we have seen bare ground all winter. I am pretty disappointed, since the lawn was actually starting to fill in more and look pretty good before I added the compost. I don't want to make another mistake and make it worse. It won't just fill in on it's own will it?

Not thrilled to have made another job for myself, but what are you going to do. I still feel good about adding the composted cow manure and think it will work out in the end, but I also think I better do something about the bare spots before weeds invade. Has anyone had experience in having this problem? I am thinking I should overseed it, would that be right?

I am also thinking that if I have to buy grass seed, I might take this opportunity to add a mix that might give me a more natural short meadow kind of appearance? But if I mow regularly, is that practical? I was thinking of maybe mixing up my own seed mix, but don't know where to start to add something to the grass that will work out. We do mow regularly, but our grass is not a fast or tall grower. In the spring, I like to leave it long for awhile and I thought maybe I can add something that would flower at that time before I mow? We have mostly part shade. No real full sun areas.

Where do you buy grass seed and I am in New England and want something that doesn't grow too tall in part shade. Can you recommend a short grass seed to be the base of my mix and/or recommend any seed I can consider mixing with it?

I will try to get a photo later today...

Any and all ideas welcome.. :-) Thanks pm2

Comments (9)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

Look up creeping/red/chewing fescue.

• decklap
    16 years ago

Give it awhile. I think it'd be impossible at this point to attribute bare spots to the amount of compost spread if the snow has only now melted.

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

+1 decklap. Wait a bit yet. I have bare spots, and spots that really look dead, but it's only March (and I'm further south than you are).

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks lou. :-)

I looked out there this morning to see about taking a photo and I don't think it will show much. Yes, I am sure that it is early to tell what's what, but it just doesn't look the way it usually does. I called the NEWFS yesterday to see if they know of any native grass mixes for my area, but they don't. They suggested that carex would be the only thing short enough and not really appropriate, which I agree with. I was thinking about adding more clover but I already have quite a bit. They suggested a plant called houstonia that blooms in the spring and will coexist with the grass.

I think I may just get a small bag of commercial grass seed for part shade and plan on overseeding a bit. Unless of course, all of a sudden in the next couple of weeks things start looking significantly different.

Is there a 'best' time to overseed, if I do?

Thanks for your encouragement..
    :-)
    pm2

• maplerbirch
    16 years ago

Overseeding is usually ok anytime that the temps and moisture are good. Most agree fall is best.

Compost will mat down and smother grass like anything else. You always want the blades reaching above the application. As long as the grass wasn't matted down you are probably fine.
    Spring is usually best for compost because you are creating an environment for microbes to thrive in throughout the season.

• billhill
    16 years ago

The blend of fescues mentioned above would be the best choice of seed to attain your objectives. Lowes or Home Depot would be a good place to purchase.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

maplerbirch...it was late in the fall when we spread the compost layer. The grass had already been cut for the last time and was on the shortest setting. I would wager some of it was matted down. Spring would have been a better time to spread it, I am now sure. But the layer of compost hasn't been wasted, right? I mean once the season warms up, won't the microbes become active again?

billhill..

Thanks for that information. That will be easy enough to find. :-)

pm2

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

It's definitely not wasted. Even if you killed the grass, the compost is going into the soil and doing its job.

If you did kill the grass, those organics are going in as well. If not, it'll recover and flourish.

• maplerbirch
    16 years ago

pm2:
    I would certainly think so. OM rarely goes to waste. :)

Any grass that is actively growing when spring comes should grow better because of the compost being there. At least that is my thinking.

Sponsored