Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I took the plunge to Organic Lawn Care

Posted by edgewood96 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 16, 08 at 8:16

I have lurked here for several days reading as many posts as I could to organic lawn care. We moved into our new house last year & of course had to start from dirt to get a lawn. Our lawn is going on its second year of growth. Of course last year was chemical care & about $3,000 later the yard looked horrible. We seeded, strawed, etc. to get grass but didn't get much so hubby hired a professional lawn service who did more damage than good. The lawn service really stuck the chemicals to our yard.

Anyway, yesterday I spread 500 lbs. of SBM. I also spread a 100 pounds of Alfalfa in a certain area of the yard as an experiment. Our yard is approx. 44,000 sq. ft. I made pics of the yard so I can follow the experiment. It was wonderful to be able to breathe while spreading these natural organic foods. I have lung diseases so chemicals & scents cause some major havock to my system.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I took the plunge to Organic Lawn Care

What about compost? If you haven't done so, 1 cubic yard per 1000 sqft will help a lot. Your soil may lack sufficient soil microbes (or at least diversity of species) to take advantage of SBM and Alfalfa. You can look at soil biology as a microscopic world with billions of people with ALL KINDS OF JOBS to keep the world spinning... Chemical products might have killed off some of the important jobs... Only compost can provide those "jobs"...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here