Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Organic Herbicides - Liquid

Posted by comkow z6 ny (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 24, 09 at 9:59

We are trying to decide whether to use Johnathan Green CGM again this year. Two years ago, we got "OK" results and last year it seems we got no reduction in weeds. Could have been the timing, off by a week or two, but it is not like we marked the calendar from prior year and every year is different with the weather.

So, I came across this site that says all natural, organic liquid herbicide. It's alot cheaper than the packaged CGM, which is all we can get here locally. Can any of you pros out there offer any feedback?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Liquid Organic Herbicide

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Organic Herbicides - Liquid

That is not an herbicide. It is a herbicide additive. It is a wetting agent for chemical herbicides.

Calendars don't work as well as watching nature. Usually the forsythia blooming is a good trigger for preemergent herbicides.

I've never had any luck with any kind of preemergent. I have much better luck with infrequent watering and mowing at the mower's highest setting.

o

Thanks. After I read it more thoroughly, I realized it was an additive.

I am trying to decide if we should lay the CGM this w/e or next w/e. To be honest, there are buds on the flowering pear trees and the lilac tree, as well as new growth on the maple tree too....oh, and daffodil stems are starting to sprout too. Seems to be too cold still here in SE NY, but that is what is happening outside, believe it or not. I know I am putting way too much thought into this, right? We have no forsythia, although the neighbors do, but we can't see it from here.
Thx.

o

Corn Gluten Meal, when applied correctly, is an effective preemergent "weed" control. However it does need to be applied at the right time and it will be effective for that purpose for 5 to 6 weeks. Since the research about this was done at Iowa State University that would be a good place to go to look for information about when and how to apply CGM properly and what it will do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Corn Gluten Meal Research page

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here