Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelleynelson

SBM/Grain pricing?

kelleynelson
15 years ago

Hi guys - I'm curious if anyone has spoken to their feed grain sources lately? Are prices relatively stable, or more nasty price increases this year?

Comments (15)

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

I bought two bags of corn meal last week and if I remember right, it was about what I paid for it last year. That price is about twice what I paid for it two years ago.

• billhill
    15 years ago

Last May Soybean meal was 382 per ton or about 9.85 in 50 lb bags. Just checked, this year 340/ton or 8.50 per 50# bag. This is at a farm center Coop. I would expect prices to drop farther as the recession deepens. Farmers around here are beefing out their dairy herds. Bill Hill

• eriocaulon
    15 years ago

That would be awesome if prices dropped this year. I want to start using SBM again.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    15 years ago

Last fall, it was 14 dollars per 50lbs. Now it is 12 dollars. 2 years ago, it used to be 7,8 dollars per bag.

• kelleynelson
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good stuff, I will have to check in with my supplier soon.

In my town there is a startup company that makes granular lawn fertilizer from food waste. They use some kind of rapid composting process. I may have to give it a try, Home Depot is carrying it. Converted Organics.

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

I found my receipt. I paid $8.75 per bag for ordinary corn meal. That's $3 less than last year and $2 more than the price 2 years ago.

• ralfsmom
    15 years ago

can soybean meal be used for lawn fertilizer? ralfsmom

• bpgreen
    15 years ago

"can soybean meal be used for lawn fertilizer? "

Yes.

• billhill
    15 years ago

Ralfsmom, Soybean meal is an excellent fertilizer for lawn and garden. Applied at 12 to 15 lbs per 1000 sq. ft. SBM is high in protein and is a very cost effective organic lawn fertilizer. Additional information may be found in the FAQ linked below. - Bill Hill

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic lawncare FAQ

• tpilews
    15 years ago

$18.95 / bag for SBM here in Tampa Bay area.

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    15 years ago

I have had a horrible situation with SBM that was opened once and just kept in the bag and the end rolled up and clipped and stored under the eaves to avoid rain. Well a month later the SBM was a solid mass of grey/brown slimy stinky putrefied mess. It hasn't rained even once since I've owned the SBM, so any moisture is derived from the humidity. Will pouring a fresh bag of SBM into a Rubbermaid 18 gallon tote keep the humidity out or am I going to run into this problem again with flies and maggots crawling all through the SBM?

• kelleynelson
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I usually buy it and use it on the same weekend. Keeping it in a tote may help. Be aware that rodents love this stuff too.

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    15 years ago

You use all 50# on one application? What do you have 5 acres of land? I live in a suburb and every lot is like .25 acre or less.

• garycinchicago
    15 years ago

> "You use all 50# on one application? What do you have 5 acres of land? I live in a suburb and every lot is like .25 acre or less."

You are aware of the application rate of grains as a fertilizer for turf, correct? At the recommended rates per 1000 ft2, a 50Lb sack doesn't even cover a 1/4 acre lot.

• kelleynelson
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I use a 14lb of SBM for every 1000sf of grass. That's a nice kick and isn't enough to get any unpleasant smell.

I have about 12,000 square feet of turf area, so I need 170lbs of SBM to cover.

Make sure you subtract your house, driveway, patio, etc from your square footage.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH