Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skoot_cat

My front lawn went to $h!t

skoot_cat
14 years ago

Late last summer/early fall grubs did a serious number on my front lawn. At first the affected areas looked water/drought stressed which is normal for that time of year. I didnt think anything about it at the time. Then before I knew it they were completely dead. I would say about half my front lawn is gone. Now, the dead areas are filled with weeds of all sorts, and everyone favorite (Bermuda) is rapidly filling in the dead areas.

At this point I dont know what Im going to do. Needless to say Im bummed. I'll post some pics of my once beautiful floratam soon.

Comments (2)

• dchall_san_antonio
    14 years ago

I clearly remember how nice your lawn looked when you first had it installed. What a sad tale, but...you can recover!!

Get a few more pieces of Floratam and place them strategically around your dead areas. Then will grow out as the remaining grass grows in. I would shoot to put them 5 feet away from existing grass and each other. It will look patchy for sure, but not for long.

Bermuda did not suddenly appear. You had it there all along, but the Floratam mowed up high kept it in check. That will happen again. The Floratam will send runner all through the bermuda and it will disappear once more.

Here we find grubs never strike two years in a row. I don't know if that is a universal rule but seems to work for the most part here. I can understand why you would be spooked for this year. If you are afraid of grubs, watch for the June bugs flocking around your porch light. Then apply beneficial nematodes immediately. You can get them by mail from Colorado (search Guardian Lawn Patrol and nematodes). They need a lot of water for mobility, so apply immediately before your normal watering routine.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    14 years ago

Mine looks bad after 3 nights of low to mid teens overnight temperature. Looks like significant amount of winter damage. I see green here and there but not much at the moment. You're not alone...

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!